[SOLVED] Was I hacked ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chyaweth

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2011
Went to my PC yesterday evening and found a printout in the printer tray. It stated, "Your file was not found. It may have been moved or deleted. ERR_FILE_NOT_FOUND". There was also the "sad" icon.

At the top of the page was the path, "file:///C:/Users/Public/Desktop/Macrium%20viBoot.lnk".
(I do have Macrium Reflect free edition installed)

All thoughts welcome, thanks.

Mod edit: OS = Windows 10

Solution
Assuming that a family member is NOT playing a practical joke on you their are several checks you need to make.
Have you given remote access to somebody to help you sort out a problem.
Have you clicked on a suspicious link on an email just to see what happened.
Have you downloaded anything that you should not have done.

Look in add/remove for anything you dont recognise and also on that page click programs and features and study the list of programs in their as well , i say this because not all programs get list in the main add/remove page of windows 10.

Do a full virus scan and also run windows defender scan as it sometimes finds things that others miss.

Have you used malwarebytes before. The reason I ask this is because you may not...
Assuming that a family member is NOT playing a practical joke on you their are several checks you need to make.
Have you given remote access to somebody to help you sort out a problem.
Have you clicked on a suspicious link on an email just to see what happened.
Have you downloaded anything that you should not have done.

Look in add/remove for anything you dont recognise and also on that page click programs and features and study the list of programs in their as well , i say this because not all programs get list in the main add/remove page of windows 10.

Do a full virus scan and also run windows defender scan as it sometimes finds things that others miss.

Have you used malwarebytes before. The reason I ask this is because you may not be fully aware of how Malwarebytes works. Infections of any kind can be made up of many segments , if you clicked on anything it found before quarantining and deleting you might have seen it say something like your name ( an example ) pup 5 , this means that your name is made up of 5 segments.
This is the important bit.... Malwarebytes is one of the best programs around but it cant always get rid of all segments of something on the first scan/quarantine/delete. You must do repeated scans till it finds nothing.
Also try adwcleaner by the same company

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.