[SOLVED] was i scammed while buying RAM

Sep 11, 2021
Hi, i hv recently upgraded my pc. Bought nw processor, mobo, 2 rams and casing. So after bringing it home the pc started acting funny. Shuts down randomly, while playing fifa 21, the game stops out of nowhere. So after running memory diagnostic tool, it detected hardware problem. I opened the casing and changed the ram slots several times. Though i bought two twinmos 8gb, 3200Mhz rams, cpuz says different.

View: https://imgur.com/ISN08ee

View: https://imgur.com/BvGGX0w

Solution
What do you mean "CPU-Z says different"?

Sure looks like CPU-Z says those are 3200mhz DIMMs to me. Remember, this is DDR (Double data rate) memory, so 1600mhz frequency is going to result in 3200mhz operation. And the max bandwidth shown in the top section specifications indicates they are DDR4-3200 DIMMs as well.

Download HWinfo, install it, run "Sensors only", scroll down to the memory section and take a screenshot, then post that here. Also, take a screenshot of the memory tab in CPU-Z. I don't see anything in your screenshots that indicates there is any deviation from what the memory should be running at. My 3200mhz G.Skill DIMMs show 1600mhz in the CPU-Z JEDEC table on the last row, same as yours. This is not an issue, as 1600mhz...
What do you mean "CPU-Z says different"?

Sure looks like CPU-Z says those are 3200mhz DIMMs to me. Remember, this is DDR (Double data rate) memory, so 1600mhz frequency is going to result in 3200mhz operation. And the max bandwidth shown in the top section specifications indicates they are DDR4-3200 DIMMs as well.

Download HWinfo, install it, run "Sensors only", scroll down to the memory section and take a screenshot, then post that here. Also, take a screenshot of the memory tab in CPU-Z. I don't see anything in your screenshots that indicates there is any deviation from what the memory should be running at. My 3200mhz G.Skill DIMMs show 1600mhz in the CPU-Z JEDEC table on the last row, same as yours. This is not an issue, as 1600mhz x 2 = 3200mhz.

Solution
Hi, i hv recently upgraded my pc. Bought nw processor, mobo, 2 rams and casing. So after bringing it home the pc started acting funny. Shuts down randomly, while playing fifa 21, the game stops out of nowhere. So after running memory diagnostic tool, it detected hardware problem. I opened the casing and changed the ram slots several times. Though i bought two twinmos 8gb, 3200Mhz rams, cpuz says different.

Yes I see what you mean akib2ahmed as you have two differing Manufacturers indicated in CPUz.
This can become an issue as each manufacturer develops its RAM sticks differently.

They use different memory controllers, different dies, different materials, PCBs, and different custom circuits.
There are many variables that may proove OK however there are cases where a conflict in these customizations can cause system instability, crashes, or even a failure to boot the system entirely.

Did you purchase your RAM as a kit or as two sparate modules? If bought as a kit then something is fishy!!!
Mixing ram from differing manufacturers is never a good idea.

Return what you have and get a single kit the size you need at a frequency your MB and CPU support and chosen from the MB QVL and that way you know they have been tested and known to work.

Sep 11, 2021
Yes I see what you mean akib2ahmed as you have two differing Manufacturers indicated in CPUz.
This can become an issue as each manufacturer develops its RAM sticks differently.

They use different memory controllers, different dies, different materials, PCBs, and different custom circuits.
There are many variables that may proove OK however there are cases where a conflict in these customizations can cause system instability, crashes, or even a failure to boot the system entirely.

Did you purchase your RAM as a kit or as two sparate modules? If bought as a kit then something is fishy!!!
Mixing ram from differing manufacturers is never a good idea.

Return what you have and get a single kit the size you need at a frequency your MB and CPU support and chosen from the MB QVL and that way you know they have been tested and known to work.
thanks for the reply. basically i asked for two identical 8gb rams because through time if 1 fails another will keep working. i didnt know about the issues with 2 rams create, only today i found it after searching the forum. so, u saying getting 1 16gb kit will be better?

my current config is

core i5 11400
Asus tuf gaming b560m plus
those two rams
geforce gtx 1660 super
thermaltec lite 550w psw

That was not good service to provide you with DIMMs from two manufacturers.

Get a single kit (2Dimms at 8GB) at 3200Mhz so you have dual channel mode.
A single module will only get you single channel mode.

In dual-channel memory configurations, the memory controller uses both channels to communicate with the CPU, essentially doubling the bandwidth.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021
Both are PC-3200s and both are 8GB sticks. But they're from different manufacturer and using different RAM chips and controllers.
Don't trust the labels, they're easily replaced (and even printed).

Here in my country (Indonesia) we got hundreds (if not thousands) such sellers importing refurbished blank OEMs RAM modules from AliExpress which then they label themselves as major brands (counterfeiting). From looks alone you can't tell that its fake. Only by using such tools like CPU-Z you can tell what speed and what controllers it used.
Mostly you'll get a blank on every column except the Timings (brand: unknown/blank, serial number: unknown/blank, Manuf: unknown/blank, Part Number: unknown/blank, and so on).

Here's a sample of a counterfeit/fake Samsung PC12800 DDR3 on CPU-Z:
(everything is blank and its actually a PC 10600 labeled as PC 12800)

o2t2MNn.png

Here's how it is supposed to look like (on original/real Samsung PC 12800 DDR3) :

dMngtkr.png

Yep, I missed that they were different manufacturer listings. I thought primarily you were concerned with the speed not being right.

Based on the remainder of the conversation here and what I see in those screenshots, I'd say any of these possibilities are valid including potentially that they are fake, or that you were given two differently sourced DIMMs rather than one kit with matched DIMMs.

I agree with MeanMachine. I'd return them and get a more reliable kit that comes with actual matched DIMMs that have been tested for compatibility. I realize it's often difficult to get quality hardware in some regions but regardless, that doesn't change the fact that that is what needs to usually happen, especially if we're talking about high speed memory kits like this rather than something running at the JEDEC baseline default of 2133mhz, if you want to avoid problems.

TRENDING THREADS