Was my brother right? (PSU question + a somewhat random question)

TheMirageOfDeceit

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016
So the energy where i live is...somewhat unstable. Nothing major, but it does goes out once every 1-3 months for a short period of time. My point is, i got myself a CX500 series from the Corsair (will be using it for an year or two only and the price was amazing so i grabbed it) and my brother started rambling about how i should've got "at least a 800w PSU" to protect my PC from possible possible. My question is: was he right?

My build is I5 6400, GTX 1060 6gb (Galax), 8GB of DDR4 2133mhz RAM from corsair, WD 1TB HDD.

PS: Oh, also, since the CX 500 has active PFC i shouldn't use AVR with it, is that correct? Planning on buying one of these (don't know the english name for it): http://www.pisc.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/COD-1852.jpg

Is

Solution
with the power supply it the cpu+gpu when in games that the unit going to be stressed. on most gaming pc having a larger power supply gives the 12v rail some over head and lets you add another gpu or a faster one latter on without replacing your power supply.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Well he is not right about wattage doing anything to "protect your pc" but I would never buy a low quality psu such as the CX500 if I lived in an area with unstable power, unless I had a UPS with a line conditioner. The wattage is not important for protecting your pc assuming its enough which the CX500 is for that system, but the quality of components and types of protection circuitry are. The CX500 while not absolutly terrible is still not something I would buy if I was worried about unstable power from the mains hurting my PC. Just my two cents, it may be fine for years but I dont think I would personally trust it.

TheMirageOfDeceit

Commendable
Nov 14, 2016

Well i trust the CX 500 since i've been using the CX 430 on my less powerful PC and never faced any problems with it. And then again, i'll be using it for only a year.

Man, this new PC is making me nervous.

with the power supply it the cpu+gpu when in games that the unit going to be stressed. on most gaming pc having a larger power supply gives the 12v rail some over head and lets you add another gpu or a faster one latter on without replacing your power supply.

Solution