Question Was this the right decision? EVGA g5 850w

Krisztian_85

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
Hi
Long story short, i had a pc 3 years ago with an 10 years old intel infrastructure, and i had usb issues with it because i use specific usb input deices (sim racing gear) i upgraded my pc 3 years ago and i went with an evga BQ850w psu and it was fine, however last year i thought i don't really need 850w and went with an evga g3 750w for a more efficient gold+, they both have 24A on 3.3v and 20A s 24A on 5v and 70A vs 60A overall. i occasionnaly had the weird usb input lag or 2-3 usb devices freezed up, Reboted a few times, not too many times but after a while i thought i should go back to 850W for headroom as i don't want to deal with these issues anymore. So i bought evga 850gt model what has turned out to be a complete lemon, i had lagging on input devices reboots while copying files on usb3.0 etc, so a complete disaster. I was mislead that evga is good enough and it dissapointed me, but still i went with an evga 850 g5 what is not the best reading the review on tom's hardware after all. As you can see i was mistaken by trusting a brand and i thought i can just go with it as i'm no psu expert. i havent had this g5 for long enough but what should i expect, can i just leave it in and use it or buy the seasonic made g6 (i don't care about the brand anymore but seasonic should do i guess)? I do need the 70A overall and the 24A on 3.3 and 5v as under that i get issues with usb as strange as it sounds. (not sure if usb is on 3.3v or 5v?) So i have 3 psu's with me now in the process of returning the 850gt, and i dont mine buy one more if i have to if this g5 is not too promising either.

Specs Are: x570 aorus elite, 32gb ddr4 3600, 3700x, ssd+hdd, rtx3070 3 monitors, and 10-12 usb devices plugged in

Krisztian_85

Honorable
Apr 9, 2017
I'm not stuck at this point. but i have no idea what i'm doing as you can see and i already spent more time learning about psu-s than i ever wanted. No g7 available there is a 2nd hand g6. there is a seasonic focus but it only 20A on 3.3 and 5v.

main names are Be quiet, game max pro, gigabyte, corsair rm is available by a quick search in 850w. i don't give my money to corsair anymore for earlier costumer support issues tough.

Last edited:
Hello Krisztian_85. I had almost exactly the same issue with USB ports on two family rigs, and for years. The problem was particularly annoying because internet was through USB wi-fi receivers. Long story short, AMD had years of USB bugs on Ryzen boards that weren't resolvable by the user. Eventually AMD resolved it via BIOS updates. And that is what I recommend that you do immediately. And while you're at it, I also recommend that you update the chipset drivers directly from the AMD website, after updating the BIOS.

BIOS updates
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/X570-AORUS-ELITE-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

chipset drivers
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I'm not stuck at this point. but i have no idea what i'm doing as you can see and i already spent more time learning about psu-s than i ever wanted. No g7 available there is a 2nd hand g6. there is a seasonic focus but it only 20A on 3.3 and 5v.

main names are Be quiet, game max pro, gigabyte, corsair rm is available by a quick search in 850w. i don't give my money to corsair anymore for earlier costumer support issues tough.

Why are you concerned about only 20A on +3.3V and +5V? Having 12 USB devices shouldn't be putting it anywhere closer to going over; USB 2.0 specs max out at 2.5W and USB 3.0/3.1 at 4.5W. It's more likely you're just overwhelming the USB controller. But if you're that worried, get a powered USB hub; it's unlikely that most of the devices need that much bandwidth.