Was wondering if my Mobo and RAM is compatible?

davidty1996

Commendable
Dec 10, 2017
Hi guys I was wondering if the specs are compatible.
Mobo: GIGABYTE AB350 gaming 3
Memory: TForce delta rgb 2666 16gb (8x2)

Thanks in advance guys. :D

Solution
Ram can fail by not being recognized by the motherboard at all.

It can fail by being only recognizing one slot, not two.

It can fail by not allowing all slots to be used.

It can fail by heating up and shutting off your computer.

Then there are the pull your hair out problems.

Because ram is used by pretty much everything, if the bits in ram get intermittently scrambled, the computer might tell you that you have a problem with any other part in your computer. That's the tough one.

You need good, reliable memory.

However, there is a program called memtest.

I've used mismatched ram in computers, old ram, new ram, different sized ram. Yeah, you shouldn't do that if you want good speed, and these computers were probably memory...

topheron

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm not sure where the other guy got his information who said it was 'definitely compatible'.

The ram that Gigabyte motherboards 'certify' compatible can be found on their webpage:

http://www.gigabyte.us/Motherboard/GA-AB350-Gaming-3-rev-10#support-doc

Look under the support list tab for memory support list.

If it isn't on the list it MAY work, but it hasn't been tested, and you MAY have problems either immediately or later.

For me, it is NEVER worth it. Ram problems can cause all kinds of pull your hair out problems that are REALLY hard to figure out if it is your CPU, Power Supply, Hard Drive, or video card. Ram problems can create symptoms that look like any of these, and it's not worth it.

Buy ram that is on the supported list. Then you have a high degree of certainty that you won't spend hours or days of your life trying to troubleshoot a tricky intermittent ram problem.

This is just basic advice, like 'don't buy the cheapest power supply', 'don't buy the cheapest no-name motherboard'.

Stay with ram recommended by the motherboard manufacturer.

(As an edit, I would mention that it didn't used to be quite so important... you used to be able to use ram from a lot of different places and not have much trouble. Things have changed. Ram compatibility isn't as certain anymore.)

As above, if you find the ram on the motherboard supported ram list, then you are ok.
But, you can also go to a ram vendor web site and access their ram selection app.
Enter your motherboard make/model and you will get a list of supported kits.
Ryzen is very picky on ram.

Another caveat.
Do not plan on later adding to what you buy.
It will not be supported and may or may not work properly.

davidty1996

Commendable
Dec 10, 2017

Can't find it in the RAM list :(
What kind of problems can it give me?

topheron

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ram can fail by not being recognized by the motherboard at all.

It can fail by being only recognizing one slot, not two.

It can fail by not allowing all slots to be used.

It can fail by heating up and shutting off your computer.

Then there are the pull your hair out problems.

Because ram is used by pretty much everything, if the bits in ram get intermittently scrambled, the computer might tell you that you have a problem with any other part in your computer. That's the tough one.

You need good, reliable memory.

However, there is a program called memtest.

I've used mismatched ram in computers, old ram, new ram, different sized ram. Yeah, you shouldn't do that if you want good speed, and these computers were probably memory throttled, but they worked.

Whenever I used dodgy ram I ran the program memtest for 12-24 hours. If it passed that level of testing then I felt good about it.

This was back in DDR3 days... DDR4 is MUCH more particular about what ram works and what doesn't.

So, if I had these sticks of dodgy ram.

I would update my bios to the latest version.

I would set my motherboard settings to 'default' not 'optimized' or 'turbo' in BIOS.

I would put in one stick, try to boot with that. If it worked, I would remove it and try to boot with the other stick.

If they both would boot 'singles' I would put both sticks in at the same time.

I would have memtest on a thumb drive, boot from the thumb drive and let it run for 12-24 hours.

Then I would be happy using that ram in that computer.

Solution

davidty1996

Commendable
Dec 10, 2017

That was very well explained. Thank you for sharing your knowledge. I'm gonna try to boot it 1 at a time as you said. Thank you for the effort.