[SOLVED] Watch AVI video on TV monitor ?

shinnen

Commendable
Jan 21, 2020
Hi all,
I came by a hard drive that has quite a few movies, TV series, etc., mostly avi files.
I can watch them on my computer, but I'd like to watch them on my TV monitor.
What are my options?
Thanks,
....... john

Solution
What are my options?
I'm trying to avoid buying a piece of equipment, but I'll keep it in mind.
What TV?

Is it a smart tv?
Install Plex server on your pc, configure movie libraries. Install Plex client on TV and watch shared content.
TV and pc have to be on the same ethernet network (connected to same switch or router).

Is it a "dumb" tv?
Connect tv to your pc with HDMI cable and use it as second monitor to watch video content.
Get mediainfo to find out what video and audio codec the files have and buy a media player that supports those, some smartphones are easily connected to TVs so look into that, otherwise a simple android box will most probably do the trick, just make sure that the codec are not some esoteric weird thing that nobody uses.

shinnen

Commendable
Jan 21, 2020
Get mediainfo to find out what video and audio codec the files have and buy a media player that supports those, some smartphones are easily connected to TVs so look into that, otherwise a simple android box will most probably do the trick, just make sure that the codec are not some esoteric weird thing that nobody uses.
Thanks Terry. I'll check it out.
... john

What are my options?
I'm trying to avoid buying a piece of equipment, but I'll keep it in mind.
What TV?

Is it a smart tv?
Install Plex server on your pc, configure movie libraries. Install Plex client on TV and watch shared content.
TV and pc have to be on the same ethernet network (connected to same switch or router).

Is it a "dumb" tv?
Connect tv to your pc with HDMI cable and use it as second monitor to watch video content.

Reactions: Corwin65
Solution

shinnen

Commendable
Jan 21, 2020
Hi,
It's a Sanyo LCD32R41(c). It's 10+ years old. It has HDMI, VGA, USB, and RCA connectors. I think it would be classed as a 'dumb' TV:rolleyes:.
The laptop is much older. It has USB, VGA, and what I think is a Firewire connector. No HDMI.
.... john

shinnen

Commendable
Jan 21, 2020
Hi,
I think I've figured out how to do this. As I mentioned, there are VGA connectors on both the TV and the laptop (Windows 10). So, I transferred the video files to a Vantec USB 2 enclosure (containing a small ide drive, 2.5"?). As luck would have it, the Vantec enclosure will run off the USB drive (so, I didn't even have to use the power adapter). (If I'd had a larger drive on the laptop, I could have skipped the external drive.) One of the TVs (we have two) will show the files on the laptop (probably a smart TV), the other will not ( probably a dumb TV). And that's it. It seems to work. I haven't played an entire show yet, so ....
Thank you all for your help.
...... john

TRENDING THREADS