[SOLVED] Watch Dogs: Legion. GPU only peak at 77% load. Possible CPU bottleneck?

Hargorold

Prominent
Jun 2, 2019
As title says recently started playing Watch Dogs: Legion. Gpu peaked at 77% last playsession of 5+ hours. Highest ive ever seen it in the game is 80 on the dot. Well thing is my CPU caps out at a 83-84ish % load across all cores. Current system GPU: MSI GTX 1080ti OC gaming edition something(dont remember exactly) .CPU: Intel 8700k stock clock currently which is 4.3ghz (with boost).

I think its weird that im chuggin fps hard in some ares especially when driving but it really doesnt affect the load of the GPU and CPU. Like I feel they could go higher in terms of load? I dont know exactly how to tell you are bottlenecked except that the GPU isnt going close to 100% but I know it can vary from game to game and that Watch Dogs: Legion is very new so optimization prolly plays a part.

When im streaming I dont feel my FPS gets all that much lower. A tad to be expect but not that much. The chugging still happens on and off stream, doesnt really notice any difference there. Also would clocking my CPU to 4.5 ghz instead or something around there make any difference in those chugging areas you think? Thanks in regard!

(EDIT) Tested lowering graphic settings to low/medium to maybe give my CPU some headroom so GPU would be able to do more work. But the result was both lowering their load % with roughly equal proportions. Both staying around the 55-65% mark. Peaking up to the mid 70ish rarely. Is the game just that poorly optimized?

Last edited:

Hargorold

Prominent
Jun 2, 2019
That's pretty normal then. My 2070s GTA 5 1080p very high avg fps 100-120 still gets 68-70% usage. Unlikely that it's a bottleneck, but your CPU is slightly older now. It won't go to 100 unless you set it to 4K or something. Try it if you can
Alright. Thank you for quick reply. Think I will get significantly more performance out of my GPU if I clock my CPU or you think its going to stay around the same anyway? Also then it's basicly just the game that is badly optimized? Considering im well inside the recommended hardware for the game.

Alright. Thank you for quick reply. Think I will get significantly more performance out of my GPU if I clock my CPU or you think its going to stay around the same anyway? Also then it's basicly just the game that is badly optimized? Considering im well inside the recommended hardware for the game.
hmmmm the CPU clock might help, but that's a very big might. I know GTA isn't very well optimized. You see a bit of grass and the fps drops to frickin 60. You see too much grass and you go to console fps

Hargorold

Prominent
Jun 2, 2019
hmmmm the CPU clock might help, but that's a very big might. I know GTA isn't very well optimized. You see a bit of grass and the fps drops to frickin 60. You see too much grass and you go to console fps
I watched some benchmarks with people playing with 1080 TI. They had 100% load or close to on the card. But they were 9700k's with 4.9ghz boost but I feel its weird. From all ive learned about pc gaming up until now is that the CPU usually has leap and bounds of space for the GPU (usually) and when u get to older CPU you can clock to compensate a bit. But CPU is something you dont have to swap. Now I bought this PC couple years back and the CPU was fastest you could get in the i7 series. And the GPU same. I feel its weird that the CPU cant match the GPU then. But maybe its just how the game is? That it requires so much single thread speed to utilize a gpu 100%.

Watch this guy. He uses same CPU as me and hes under like I dunno not even remotely close to the load im under on the CPU that is so weird :p. Also GPU is close to 100% When I play ultra my CPU goes into the 80's at highest. He maybe touches 70 here and there. Also his GPU might be bottlenecking his CPU here but I mean there cant be that much difference between a 1080 OC and a 1080ti? Also sure his FPS isnt good either so im not expecting to skyrocket my fps in any way. Now its more the issue of none of my compenents really pushing close to 100% load when other people with similiar systems does.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4g-xjCMj6gE&ab_channel=Laslo

Last edited:

Hargorold

Prominent
Jun 2, 2019
What’s the full pc spec? Try running userbenchmark and sharing the public link to the results.
Can I link it like this? https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/34844716 If not heres the text results

UserBenchmarks: Game 123%, Desk 91%, Work 110%
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K - 95.3%
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080-Ti - 133.3%
SSD: Samsung 970 Evo NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 236%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2016) - 112.1%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2133 C13 2x8GB - 71%
MBD: Asus PRIME Z370-A

Last edited:

Hargorold

Prominent
Jun 2, 2019
The only thing that stand out is your very slow RAM. Each game is impacted differently by RAM speed, see if you can find benchmarks of RAM speed in Watchdogs.

I have not activated XMP yet. But I saw that memory was 2133mhz out of 2133. But can I still get speed increase from activating XMP even though its already at intended mhz?