Watch Intel's Fall Desktop Launch Event Here

mihen

Honorable
Oct 11, 2017
There has never been a better time not to buy Intel. Must be the worst year to get Intel in the last decade. Production shortages, Spectre/Meltdown flaws on most of their CPUs, and a competent rival. Not sure why you would pay extra for that.

InvalidError

Titan

When your core products are out of stock most of the time due to demand exceeding supply, you don't need to compete on price or price to performance. You simply focus on getting the most money you can possibly get away with and Intel is doing exactly that, much to PC enthusiasts' disappointment.

This is perfectly fine since it means more people will be forced to consider AMD if they want better bang per buck and AMD desperately needs those sales so they can make payments on their debts and re-negotiate loans that are coming to term in 2019-2020 from a much more comfortable position than being desperate for survival. A stronger AMD also means more pressure on Intel and more choice for consumers on both sides.

While higher prices on Intel's side may suck, AMD clawing back significant market share away from Intel should make things more interesting long-term.

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
They can go to hell with their idiotic launch event.

They are ripping customers off, selling regular i7's as i9's just to put premium pricetag on them and then upsell i5's as i7's without HT.

InvalidError

Titan

i3, i5, i7, i9 are nothing more than marketing names that don't stand for much in terms of specific feature set aside from higher numbers generally means more stuff but not always and it gets much worse when you look at Intel's mobile CPUs where mobile names are often two rungs down compared to their desktop equivalents.

As long as people continue buying and Intel continues selling CPUs faster than it can make them, Intel will continue pushing its luck. Basic capitalism at work: sell finite production to the highest bidders.