Watch Jane Unbox the BlackBerry Z10 Smartphone

Status
Not open for further replies.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
i'm happy that blackberry is trying to make a come back. Android phones have a choppy slow to respond at times interface, Apple has a I-cant-customize-jack interface so i'm hoping Blackberry pulls out some nice moves to force the other companies to step it up. More competition means better products for us.

[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]i'm happy that blackberry is trying to make a come back. Android phones have a choppy slow to respond at times interface, Apple has a I-cant-customize-jack interface so i'm hoping Blackberry pulls out some nice moves to force the other companies to step it up. More competition means better products for us.[/citation]

None of the latest devices have choppiness, android 4.0 addressed many of the code efficiency problems.

My LG optimus G has absolutely no choppiness, it's blazing fast and smooth of course it also has a quad core processor. My EVO 3D also isn't choppy or slow at all.

Your problem might be that android can throttle down a processor when at idle, whoever designs the phone can set the frequency to conserve battery life, it may take a second or 2 to wake the device up and allow the processor to throttle to full speed. Your phone just sucks, get a better device or try a custom ROM.

An excellent hands-on (initial hands-on) with the BB z10 on Android Central. Go look it up.
Also excellent ref. to porting Android apps to BB, or even running them natively in the BB OS. THAT can make the difference for this phone.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
[citation][nom]gggplaya[/nom]None of the latest devices have choppiness, android 4.0 addressed many of the code efficiency problems. My LG optimus G has absolutely no choppiness, it's blazing fast and smooth of course it also has a quad core processor. My EVO 3D also isn't choppy or slow at all. Your problem might be that android can throttle down a processor when at idle, whoever designs the phone can set the frequency to conserve battery life, it may take a second or 2 to wake the device up and allow the processor to throttle to full speed. Your phone just sucks, get a better device or try a custom ROM.[/citation]

I'm sorry but this is not entirely true. I've been using a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 for over a week with the latest "project butter" update and it still gets the occasional choppiness, though much improved from before.

bobusboy

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
3 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Who cares what's in the box? Was it going to be a surprise that there's a manual? (OMG FRENCH AND ENGLISH; I had no idea Canada had not one! But two! Official languages) and a charger?

Post a video with the phone running and you putting it through it's paces.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
I unboxed my new Razr Maxx HD today... the box was about an inch bigger than the phone and was very well designed. The Apple products I've bought in the past (iPhones) also came in slick compact packaging that is well designed to give the 'minimalist' impression. This... is not.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]bobusboy[/nom]3 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Who cares what's in the box? Was it going to be a surprise that there's a manual? (OMG FRENCH AND ENGLISH; I had no idea Canada had not one! But two! Official languages) and a charger?Post a video with the phone running and you putting it through it's paces.[/citation]
What exactly does unboxing mean to you that you didn't know what was gonna be in the video?

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]bobusboy[/nom]3 minutes of my life I'll never get back. Who cares what's in the box? Was it going to be a surprise that there's a manual? (OMG FRENCH AND ENGLISH; I had no idea Canada had not one! But two! Official languages) and a charger?Post a video with the phone running and you putting it through it's paces.[/citation]

The point of an unboxing video is purely to unbox the device and show off the packaging. Is it a little nerdy to care what kind of packaging the latest gadgets come in? I guess, but we're always curious. Sorry you didn't get as much as you hoped from the video. Perhaps you'll prefer some of the other videos we've got on the way. Thanks for reading, and sorry you feel like you wasted your time!

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]d_kuhn[/nom]I unboxed my new Razr Maxx HD today... the box was about an inch bigger than the phone and was very well designed. The Apple products I've bought in the past (iPhones) also came in slick compact packaging that is well designed to give the 'minimalist' impression. This... is not.[/citation]I love my Razr Maxx and my friend got the HD, very nice phone. Packaging is, yes, very nice as well. The one thing I do not like about the HD is the software buttons instead of the hardware ones. Maybe it's just me.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]The point of an unboxing video is purely to unbox the device and show off the packaging. Is it a little nerdy to care what kind of packaging the latest gadgets come in? I guess, but we're always curious. Sorry you didn't get as much as you hoped from the video. Perhaps you'll prefer some of the other videos we've got on the way. Thanks for reading, and sorry you feel like you wasted your time![/citation]Maybe he was a bit too harsh (ya think?)... but I think there is something he was trying to get across, maybe it was where you did it? To me the whole "presence" came across as you weren't interested or maybe you were nervous? Anyway, how does the phone run!? Do you like it?

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]d_kuhn[/nom]I unboxed my new Razr Maxx HD today... the box was about an inch bigger than the phone and was very well designed. The Apple products I've bought in the past (iPhones) also came in slick compact packaging that is well designed to give the 'minimalist' impression. This... is not.[/citation]

I'm hoping the demo packaging and retail packaging are not one and the same. The phone itself feels solid and compact, the packaging feels thrown together. Sure, it's a silly thing to worry about, but when looking at Apple's packaging or Google's packaging for any of the Nexus devices, it doesn't compare.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I'm hoping the demo packaging and retail packaging are not one and the same. The phone itself feels solid and compact, the packaging feels thrown together. Sure, it's a silly thing to worry about, but when looking at Apple's packaging or Google's packaging for any of the Nexus devices, it doesn't compare.[/citation]

I think you might be right... but if I was Blackberry, knowing how the 'unboxing' crowd generate the first impressions of a new product on the web (even though I'd be the first to admit it's a bit silly)... I'd not have let that box out of the closet.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
The box reminds me of the old PC games that used to come in HUGE boxes, then when they first started coming out in CD cases I felt cheated ... "Hey, I used to get a big box for 50 bucks... now I just get a cd case?" ... then I realized "those big boxes were mostly empty... and now I can fit 3 times as many games on a shelf!".

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008
I AM SO SICK OF THESE BOXES. What is the point of making them so nice etc. They sit in the closet or go in the garbage. Ironically. complains about the packaging. WHO CARES how it was put in there so long the items don't become damaged.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
As someone said earlier... it's become a bit of a competition among vendors to see who can come up with the slickest packaging. It's silly but to be honest, it's sort of fun to see what sort of creative designs will roll out next. It's kind of the same reason that some people thing 'presentation' is important when you eat at an expensive restaurant - it doesn't make the food taste any better - but it does show that some thought was put into the whole package.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
[citation][nom]gggplaya[/nom]None of the latest devices have choppiness, android 4.0 addressed many of the code efficiency problems. My LG optimus G has absolutely no choppiness, it's blazing fast and smooth of course it also has a quad core processor. My EVO 3D also isn't choppy or slow at all. Your problem might be that android can throttle down a processor when at idle, whoever designs the phone can set the frequency to conserve battery life, it may take a second or 2 to wake the device up and allow the processor to throttle to full speed. Your phone just sucks, get a better device or try a custom ROM.[/citation]

As the other guy said, the choppiness is still there. Less then before, but still there regardless. I used to have an iPhone 4S, the reason I enjoyed it was because of its smooth interface. Thats all i need in a phone - for it to respond quickly and do its job. Sure you can sport awesome hardware in a phone but it doesn't mean jack unless the software is doing its job.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
The boxes are retail unlocked versions. Get the US Carrier version (At&T / Verizon) and you get a dinky little box (makes sense) as they usually set up the phone before you even touch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.