rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
RAMBUS IS DEAD, I'm so happy.

Well i hope this finish rambus off.

Next time VIA is going down.

GO GO GO DDR-SDRAM

In 10 years Thanks IBM for --MRAM--

First person to get a topic banned. ABIT BP6 Lives FOREVER!!!

G

Well we will have to wait and see if Intel can increase the performance of the Pentium 4 with DDR. I don't think it is a RAM issue, but an Intel issue, as they cannot truly engineer a way to increase CPU speed without sacrificing peformance somewhere, which is pointless. We will see all more clearly by years end I hope.

G

<<<RAMBUS IS DEAD, I'm so happy.>>>
i doubt it

<<<Next time VIA is going down.>>>
along with amd??

<<<GO GO GO DDR-SDRAM>>>
probobly will have poor performance compared to rdram when paired with a p4.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Rambus is not dead, Rambus is in everything from consoles to HDTV chances are...and most likely than not, ppl will own Rambus tech in some form or another.

G

Im guessing RAMBUS dead was referring to our use of it in future conversations involving PC's...

-AMD's are not for the faint of heart... Intels? those are for newbies :eek:)-

G

Rambus 800 has more throughput than the fastest DDR out. Its more expensive but if you dont mind cost ;)

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Higher bandwidth than DDR, but also a lot higher latency. RAMBUS, as far as PC's go, will occupy a very small nitch market. DDR-SDRAM is the best technology for PC's.

RAMBUS=SUCK

G

If so Nikko could you post where you found this info. No reviews or benchmarks have shown what your saying is to be true.

G

Money will buy anything, and you can spend it on a VERY fast P4 system. But do yourself a favor and read Tom's "To Buy or Not to Buy". The DDR system he describes costs about the same as the high end P4, but is faster for most bench tests (ooohahh!). So if ragin' speed is your bottom line, regardless of what you use your PC for, then look at the benchmarks and take your pick.

For half of the money, the Gateway is the clear winner for (sane) gamers and internet browsers. In fact, PIII systems are indistinguishable in games and browsing. Only snobs, jerks, and religious chip (manufacturer) worshipers think it matters.

If you spend more than $1500 to build a rippin' ragin' personal system today with a "19 nice monitor, you are trying to find ways to spend more money. But then, a fool and his money are soon parted.... wake up and drink the orange juice or say goodbye to your presidents, buddy'

Nikko

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey MAW, this is nothing new I'm reporting here. The latency of RDRAM is much higher than SDRAM or DDR-SDRAM. If you knew anything about the two competing memory technologies I wouldn't have to provide you with some damn link. Head over to www.aceshardware.com and ask anyone over there. I'm sure they'd be happy to enlighten you. There are many reasons why RAMBUS sucks, latency is one of them.

cutepunk

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
The latency of RAMBUS memory is not that high.. the inherent latency is quite low..but the fact is, RDRAM has 16bit bus, but Intel chips since the Pentium has 64bit address for their MCH.. so the data from memory has to get rearranged in MCH.. that's what causes the apparent latency probs in i820 and i840. In other words, you can't say RDRAM has high latency, but it is true that the memory subsystem in i820 and i840 has high latency compared to SDRAM-configured setup..(SDRAM has 64-bit bus).
In P4+i850 setup though, L1 and L2 caches are designed to hide this problem; They have ulra-low latency. eventhough i850 has the same 16bit->64bit problem, because of the caches being so fast, the latency problem is not that apparent. Dual channel setup helps a lot too.
In actual tests, P4+i850's memory subsystem has about the same latency as P3+PC133 SDRAM(with supporting chipset).. which is quite an improvement. and yes, with DDR SDRAM, the latency will be even lower, a lot lower than AMD TB+AMD760+DDR SDRAM setup. This can make P4+DDR SDRAM+Brookdale DDR faster in some programs that doesn't require a lot of bandwidth. This is something we should wait and see.

so why does RDRAM use 16bit bus, you might ask.. because, in SDRAM, with its 64bit bus, it is hard to raise clock speed.. as the clock gets higher, there are more trash data being generated in the system, resulting in lost efficiency. This problem gets more serious as clock speed gets higher. So, theoretically, it will be easier to make it clock higher if RDRAM were made to have 1-bit bus, but since Intel processors(also AMD processors)have some 16bit microcodes that control other parts of the computer, it is most effcient to make the bus in 16-bit form. RDRAM would lose little efficiency compared to SDRAM as clock rate goes higher, because the data chunks coming in and out of the memory are a lot smaller.

Anyway, plz don't say "RDRAM has High Latency" thing because it is NOT true. it depends on how you implement it.

mpjesse

Splendid
I don't think they really can. The P4 is built around dual channeled RDRAM... it'll be very difficult. I'm sure it can do OK with DDR, but not nearly as well as it does with RDRAM. It'll be interesting =)

-MP Jesse