Watch the ASUS ROG OC Competition Live!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[citation][nom]builderbobftw[/nom]Stock Prediction: Liquid Nitrogen Commidities shares going up!EDIT Shadow: Preheps a CH50 that was rigged to work on L2N?[/citation]
I doubt the pump in the H50 will be able to handle the coolness of LN2 (no pun intended). The plastic,etc will probably crack.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]builderbobftw[/nom]Stock Prediction: Liquid Nitrogen Commidities shares going up!EDIT Shadow: Preheps a CH50 that was rigged to work on L2N?[/citation]

Lol, liquid nitrogen is cheaper than milk.

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Umm.... no. Not even close.[/citation]

Liquid nitrogen costs about $0.06 per liter.. You must be getting yours from the wrong guy.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Interesting if only game developers released some new games that could give some of these new monster rigs (multiple Video cards) a run for their money. Instead all PC games are port jobs from the kiddie consoles, some of them ported so badly that the options still have a kiddie console controller setting adjustment, on the PC version!
ASUS is good but I prefer Gigabyte motherboards over ASUS.

bogcotton

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Umm.... no. Not even close.[/citation]

Obviously it will end up costing more if you're going to do a project like this and not use the containers again, because those are insanely expensive.

But the actual liquid nitrogen itself is extracted from liquified air extremely easily and is made industrially for very very little. You know the air we breathe is about 80% nitrogen right?

[EDIT: Here's a link to something, http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2007/KarenFan.shtml , it seems the internet is a bit quiet on how much it costs. Also, some of the documents here, http://www.nmtc.net/search/liquid-nitrogen-tank-price, show that the price varies wildly depending on who you are, how much you are buying, and who you buy it from, from less than a cent per litre to around a dollar.... Still cheaper than milk though :-]. ]

[citation][nom]bogcotton[/nom]Obviously it will end up costing more if you're going to do a project like this and not use the containers again, because those are insanely expensive.But the actual liquid nitrogen itself is extracted from liquified air extremely easily and is made industrially for very very little. You know the air we breathe is about 80% nitrogen right?[EDIT: Here's a link to something, http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2007/KarenFan.shtml , it seems the internet is a bit quiet on how much it costs. Also, some of the documents here, http://www.nmtc.net/search/liquid-nitrogen-tank-price, show that the price varies wildly depending on who you are, how much you are buying, and who you buy it from, from less than a cent per litre to around a dollar.... Still cheaper than milk though :-]. ][/citation]
Yup. For a normal person, the cost is usually a ~$2-3 per liter. For a OC run, you easily burn through ~$200-300 worth of LN2.

pluripotent

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
Cheaper than milk...I suppose it is. But then, how much do they go through? Obviously more than the gallon per week that most people might use in milk. Even if you assume a gallon per day (that's a lot of milk) it would probably not be anywhere near how much N2 you would need to keep a system like this running. Tell me if I'm wrong...but I would assume they only run them long enough to benchmark them, then shut it down.

coopchennick

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
@ the people who think the H50 might have LN2 in it,

LN2 is not water. Not only could the temperatures crack the plastic like Shadow said, but the way LN2 cools a processor simply would not work with a water cooling setup.

The energy given off from the processor as heat is absorbed by the LN2. The nitrogen then goes from a liquid to a gaseous state. We are literally boiling LN2.

SO this whole process relies on LN2 turning into gaseous N2, and a closed system like a water cooling system would probably burst under the pressure pretty quickly. In fact, running LN2 through a radiator would probably speed up the vaporization process.

Two totally different approaches to cooling.

jowunger

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Why do they not overclock with water/fan? That takes much more skill and also helps heaps of users here which could use a given setup for themselves.

Liquid Nitrogen is only for a handful of people who know how to handle it or for people who want to loose some of their body parts because of handling problems.

I think there is not much skill needed just to put an 'icecap' on top of processor and clock it to 5Ghz or 6Ghz. It seems sometimes that 'just that' is celebrated as skill, which it isn't.

Instead of doing a project which benefits a handful of people, WHY not making a 'Real Life OC project' which can benefit the other 99.98% users?

Status
Not open for further replies.