[SOLVED] Watchdog timeout error on windows 10

Sep 26, 2022
Hey guys,
Initially I didn't have this problem (just built a new PC a few months ago). But now recently, whenever I launch Minecraft Java I get BSOD Watchdog timeout error. For some reason yesterday it worked perfectly and launched minecraft all day perfectly. But now its back to being like this again. I tried checking my drivers through armoury crate (everything up to date), updated my BIOS, un-overclocked my RAM (was on XMP 1), none of that made any difference.
CPU- Intel i7-12700k on windows 10
nvidia 3080ti
CORSAIR Vengeance DDR5 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 5200 (PC5-41600) C40 1.25V
ASUS ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming WiFi 6E LGA1700
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 GT, 80 Plus Gold 1000W
Let me know if anyone has any ideas? I'm not the best with computers but I feel like its something simple. Doing searching around it sounds l like its a buggy driver somewhere but I cant tell.
I did uninstall and install a fresh java 17, and i did a mem tool diagnostic everything came out okay.
I can't post my memory dump file as in the bluescreen my PC loses power at about 42%-ish each time and turns off then restarts before it can log what the issue was.
Lastly, I just updated my firmware/intel me/chipset and no luck here either.
Appreciate any tips!

Solution
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

bsod might be able to create a minidump, they way smaller

Clock...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

bsod might be able to create a minidump, they way smaller

Clock Watchdog Timeout?

try running this on CPU but its going to throw 2 errors as for some reason the Intel tool to test CPU doesn't know what your CPU is yet

likely to fail Brandstring & CPU Freq
This does not mean that your processor is defective. In order to complete the test on the IPDT go Tools > Stop Testing On Fail > Off.
https://community.intel.com/t5/Processors/brand-string-fail-test/td-p/560045

Reactions: rivyulet
Solution
Sep 26, 2022
I was just infact reading your countless other posts in clock watchdog timeout errors (Yes, sorry its clock watchdog timeout BSOD).
https://files.catbox.moe/auysck.zip
https://files.catbox.moe/3ip7f9.zip
https://files.catbox.moe/gbuktu.zip
https://files.catbox.moe/w2xdzh.zip

one of these might be from a irql_not_less_or_equal error, not sure how that one happened but it happened when I was reading on how to update my chipset. which i did after and it never came again. Other then the irql_not_less_or_equal that happened just a bit earlier, no BSOD ever doing any other game or app, just clock watchdog timeout upon launching minecraft java, but not all the time, 2 days ago i launched it all day just fine, the day before that I couldn't launch it at all like today. Will try running the intel diagnostic now.

Appreciate the help!

EDIT: Just finished the test, passed everything!

Sep 26, 2022

7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . .
I also ran reliability monitor off windows and did see some hardware errors, not sure if that means its actually a hardware error as in a bad cpu/ram., but not sure to be honest if the timing coincided with the watchdog error, will be heading to bed but will check back to see what else diagnostics can be done.

Colif

Win 11 Master
reliability history sees a unexpected restart as a hardware error, so there is that.
bsod cause them so its sort of expected. By me anyway, Windows... not so much

tired tonight, missed your dumps

Conversion of dumps

report - Click run as fiddle to see report

File: 092522-8546-01.dmp (Sep 26 2022 - 05:56:00)
BugCheck: [CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 34 Sec(s)

File: 092522-7718-01.dmp (Sep 26 2022 - 16:23:14)
BugCheck: [IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: chrome.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 22 Min(s), and 43 Sec(s)

File: 092522-7421-01.dmp (Sep 26 2022 - 06:06:26)
BugCheck: [CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 09 Min(s), and 41 Sec(s)

File: 092122-7921-01.dmp (Sep 22 2022 - 07:40:26)
BugCheck: [UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7F)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: java-r)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 04 Min(s), and 17 Sec(s)

first PC i seen so far with ddr5 ram. Was only a matter of time.

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it - might want to run it overnight

What audio devices have you got? Anything made by Creative?
We aren't sure it is made by Creative
Aug 02 2022CtiAIo64.sys
I normally try to identify unknown drivers so we can add to list.

Never know, Avast might have missed it.
I see that file name in too many bsod posts, but its unclear if its cause or just mentioned.

You have 2 versions of CPU-Z installed which is clever. I would have thought 1 replace other
Nov 22 2021cpuz153_x64.sysCPU-Z Version 153

Mar 25 2022cpuz154_x64.sys

Sep 26, 2022
The unexpected kernel mode trap I fixed by uninstalling java and reinstalling java 17.
Memtest is currently running, i just left to work but before i left it was on pass 3 about to start pass 4 with 0 errors. No audio devices, just whatever my motherboard has built in, and some random external soundboard I've been using for the last 5-6 years on my last pc and now this one. Have no idea what that driver is, is there any way I can find out that? I did a malwarebytes sweep before the memtest but ill download the scanner you linked as well and attempt that after the memtest and when i get home from work.
Random thought but I do have XMP 1 enabled on my bios, that shouldn't be something that could trigger this BSOD would it? While i was checking google I did notice someone else with ddr5 ram that had his watchdog BSOD issue fixed by taking it into a shop where the quickly went into BIOS and edited the xmp settings and he never got it again. My memory is a bit bad lately, but as minecraft was running fine all this time (had this pc for about 2 months), i believe it started going bad when one time I went into nvidia control panel, and changed the power management setting for it from normal(global setting)>high. When I did that and launched minecraft it just shut down my PC, so i went back and turned it back to normal, and it worked fine for a bit then I started running into watchdog. Not sure if thats related, and honestly watchdog could of started before that i'm not 100% sure but it was definitely around this time. Otherwise I haven't really fiddled with any settings. Will update tonight with the memtest pass 4 results, do the scanner, and attempt to launch minecraft again.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2022
reliability history sees a unexpected restart as a hardware error, so there is that.
bsod cause them so its sort of expected. By me anyway, Windows... not so much

tired tonight, missed your dumps

My sister texted me, memtest passed with 0 errors. Will do the scan once I get home.

Colif

Win 11 Master
and some random external soundboard
do you mean soundcard?

Have no idea what that driver is, is there any way I can find out that?
Actually, 2 ways
you can run this as admin, it looks at everything running with startup. it might now who owns the driver as I won't ask anyone about it again once I know.
It should show on the driver tab - https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns
Other way is a program I will offer if that doesn't show us.

I did notice someone else with ddr5 ram that had his watchdog BSOD issue fixed by taking it into a shop where the quickly went into BIOS and edited the xmp settings and he never got it again.

I am not sure about the changing the settings thing in DDR5, its all new. It could be a new BIOS update will fix it (there isn't one now)

try running this and see if it offers any new drivers for internet - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html
The unexpected kernel mode trap I fixed by uninstalling java and reinstalling java 17.

reinstalling the process that was running at time of crash generally doesn't fix the problem. It is the victim, not the cause. It might fix it, just saying its not normal answer.

Sep 26, 2022
do you mean soundcard?
Woops yes I meant soundcard. Sorry my pc terms are quite weak :( Just a external small little device that plugs into my usb port and my speakers plug into it. If that could be an issue I could start testing without it. And yeah my bios is at the newest version so nothing to do there.
Thanks for the info regarding the driver, when i get home I will update you on what exactly said driver is, do the computer scan, run the intel driver support, and try to launch minecraft again to see if anything new happens.
Appreciate your vast wealth of knowledge as always!!

Sep 26, 2022
it could be the usb soundcard using the driver. We won't know for sure until you look later. I can wait

does Minecraft use RTX?
Yes it does. It is a setting you can turn on or off in game.
EDIT: i think i'm mistaken, java minecraft doesn't, but I am using a shader pack that does use RTX, but doesn't need an RTX card. I had a feeling a mod possibly caused this issue so I ran a minecraft profile without these, and still got the BSOD upon launching. doing some more reading on that right now. will update.

EDIT 2: Seems like minecraft java does NOT have RTX. The shader pack I use also isn't using real ray tracing apparently either. So the answer I think will be no on RTX.
"SEUS PTGI is an experimental version of SEUS that includes a totally custom software implementation of ray tracing that does not require an RTX graphics card. The “PTGI” in the name stands for “Path Traced Global Illumination”, which is the main feature of this project " from the mod authors site. But again I tested launching minecraft without this with the same BSOD being the end result.

Sep 26, 2022
do you mean soundcard?

Actually, 2 ways
you can run this as admin, it looks at everything running with startup. it might now who owns the driver as I won't ask anyone about it again once I know.
Ran autoruns, cant find our unknown driver. Tried on the everything tab too and nothing, same for when i searched for it in the search bar.

As for the intel driver assistant it found

Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10 and Windows 11*

Windows® 10 and Windows 11* Wi-Fi Drivers for Intel® Wireless Adapters

I am updating those 2 as we speak.

Hitman scan finished as well, came out clean, just a couple tracking cookies from chrome.

EDIT:
On that autoruns program you asked me to download, I noticed a few yellow outlines having drivers for things i uninstalled etc, 2 of those where for 2 different java versions I had. I went ahead and deleted those through autoruns, I just opened minecraft and it is working. Not 100% hopeful yet as it did launch somedays, for the whole day, and the next day back to BSOD. Would me deleting those 2 other java drivers be the actual solution to a clock watchdog error? (i believe they where for java 18 and java 8, I have minecraft targeting java 17 as the one to run). I have done nothing else other then the memtest pass, hitman scan showing clear, and installing the wifi drivers via intel assistance.
Regardless of whether or not the solution has been found I am now very curious in what this unknown driver is.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
there is a search function in the Autoruns app so can search for file name there.

Its possible it doesn't start with windows which would be odd, implies its something attached after start perhaps.

Yellow on mine shows missing files, where system trying to load things that aren't there.
old shot
xiokoRX.jpg

so it might help but it would be unusual

Sep 26, 2022
there is a search function in the Autoruns app so can search for file name there.

Its possible it doesn't start with windows which would be odd, implies its something attached after start perhaps.

Yellow on mine shows missing files, where system trying to load things that aren't there.
old shot
xiokoRX.jpg

so it might help but it would be unusual
Yup tried the search feature, it wouldn't show up :(
Minecraft still launching today so I guess its fixed now? Either those wifi/internet drivers did something or me deleting the yellow marked java drivers for the older java versions on Autoruns possibly did it,
Thanks so much for the help! Will do some restarting and more testing of it today just to make sure I can't repeat the BSOD

Sep 26, 2022
UPDATE: Hitting a new BSOD now, was just browsing chrome and watching youtube, never had BSOD's for the 2 months I had this pc till this minecraft issue.
https://files.catbox.moe/mtyttu.zip

https://www.mediafire.com/file/jjcvtw0xwm6qqwl/MEMORY.rar/file

Second one is memory dump, was too big to upload to catbox

First one is minidump

Went ahead and did a disk check, came out good. Ran DISM tool, then a sfc /scannow with no integrity violations found. Re-ran intel cpu diagnostic tool and passed.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Conversion of dumps

report - Click run as fiddle to see report

File: 092722-10796-01.dmp (Sep 28 2022 - 06:23:23)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: dwm.exe)
Uptime: 1 Day(s), 12 Hour(s), 21 Min(s), and 18 Sec(s)

dwm = WIndows Desktop Manager. It sits between applications and the GPU drivers
Jul 22 2022nvlddmkm.sysNvidia Graphics Card driver http://www.nvidia.com/

Try running DDU in safe mode, uninstall Nvidia drivers, log back into norrmal mode and either:
  1. Get new drivers from Nvidia; or
  2. Run windows update and let it find older Nvidia drivers to use

Weather being a pain, I may appear to be here but on my phone half the time. so I can't do a lot.

Sep 26, 2022
Try running DDU in safe mode, uninstall Nvidia drivers, log back into norrmal mode and either:
  1. Get new drivers from Nvidia; o
  2. Run windows update and let it find older Nvidia drivers to use
Weather being a pain, I may appear to be here but on my phone half the time. so I can't do a lot.
No worries! I appreciate your help as always, I would of never of gotten this far without you.
There was infact an nvidia GPU driver update pushed roughly 20 minutes after my BSOD. Regardless when I get home from work ill do a a clean install of gpu drivers. I just really hope it isn't any faulty hardware and just drivers :( Not too sure if my incident a few weeks back of running minecraft.exe on high power management mode on the nvidia control panel (which caused an immediate pc crash) could of caused any physical damage to hardware, but hoping it wouldn't.
Will update you and appreciate again.

Sep 26, 2022
do you mean Power Management mode? I have mine set to Prefer Maximum Performance all the time, it can help with latency. I wouldn't expect it to cause a BSOD... maybe the drivers were cause all along.
Correct, I have mine on global (normal) on the nvidia control panel, but on minecraft i set it on the highest setting available, that gave me an immediate crash and if my memory serves right around then was when the BSOD's started coming.
That is a good point though, that would point out the gpu drivers. I'm new to all this stuff so putting minecraft power on high made me think maybe there was a power surge or my PSU/another component couldn't handle the load and something possibly got damaged physically. :coldsweat:
Will update you tomorrow if I could get any more BSOD after clean reinstall

Sep 26, 2022
its a 3080TI, if it can't handle it, no GPU can :)

I mainly only stick to global settings
Might be I have a faulty one? Unless it was drivers causing it not to handle it. Did a full uninstall using your link method and re-install! I guess now just time will tell. Can't really force the issue, I leave my computer on with some background rain noise to help me sleep, and it was fine all of last night, and I got up, watched some youtube with 2-3 tabs open and that's when it hit so just trying to recreate it.

Sep 26, 2022
its possible. Normally bad cards won't let you install the drivers. That wasn't the case here, could have just been the drivers.
There were new drivers released by Nvidia in the last 24 hours.
So far everything seems solid. Appreciate the help so much! I guess if i hit another bsod or the same one after watchdog ill make a new thread as this isnt watchdog related anymore, for now.