[SOLVED] Watchdog Violation — What can I do?

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Hi, a friend is experiencing the watchdog bugchecker bluescreen.

Specs: H410M-D mobo
10600 i5 CPU paired with 16GB (2x8GB)
CV610 PSU
GT 710
870 Evo 512 GB

Literally brand new components.

The first thing I did was install the chipset drivers from ASUS, then update the ME engine driver, as well as its firmware. Cleaned up GPU drivers as well and re-installed. Nothing worked, so I updated the BIOS as well, but the problem persisted.

I then went ahead and checked the event viewer logs and found that the kernel unexpectedly looses power (is that normal when the watchdog timer times out?). Other times, the errors that pop up do have info on the blue screens and they include memory dumps too. So basically its a mix of those two types of errors in there (0x133 and 0x3) I know those particular Corsair units aren't exactly great, so I did a stress test for a couple of minutes and everything was good including temperatures and voltages on all three rails. All is good.

What should I try next? I was thinking of updating SSD firmware.
What are the chances of this being a hardware fault? (I'm thinking it is because of the mixed blue screens and unexpected power losses)

Thanks!

Solution
Integrated graphics has gotten that good? Damn... But it's the newer GT710 so it has more VRAM on board, wouldn't 2GB need to be sacrificed from main RAM for the integrated graphics? Good graphical performance isnt as much of a concern here tbh.
With 16gb of ram is there enough to accomodate the igp and have all that you need left for other tasks. Since you say that performance isn't the main part so likely just for an image like videoe's and such is the igp not likely to use 2gb of ram. Haven't looked in the manual for the motherboard, but usually is there a section where you can set a max size for ram to be used by an igp if you want to limit it although i see no reason to.

Can misbehaving memory cause watchdog...

Ralston18

Titan
Also look in Reliability History. The timeline format may help reveal when the problems began.

Remember that you can click error events and get more detailed information. The information may or may not be useful.

Try longer stress tests - watch temperatures. Use Resource Monitor and Task Manager (one at a time) to observe system performance. Determine if some system condition precedes the power losses.

= = = =

Power losses.

Power down, unplug, open the case.

Clean out dust and debris if and as necessary. (Having noted "Literally brand new components.)

Ensure by sight and and feel that all connectors, cards, RAM, and jumpers are fully and firmly in place.

Take your time, be methodical. Use a bright flashlight to check everything. Look for signs of damage.

Run Windows built in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Power losses often cause file corruption.

Also: "sfc /scannow" and "dism" - either one or both could find and fix some problem.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
I think your advice is good, and I will keep it mind when I keep troubleshooting tomorrow. It is a bit harder since I have to do it remotely sigh but the system was purchased two days ago from an independent technician (I think?) that built it. I do often find such people and 'computer shops' shady in general, in Greece at least.

For instance, isn't £800 for a system with an i5 10600 and GT 710 a bit... Overpriced? Also why a 650W unit? Seems questionable and overkill, but I'm only a student and he a professional, so what do I know right? That said I'd love to fix my friend's problem before he tries to at Monday lol.

For your advice at the sfc command, isn't that unreliable nowdays? It always shows a bunch of errors even on installs that are minutes old (I tried virtual machines just to check that :p)

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
With a 10600 in there is there no need for the gt 710 at all, so there's a kind of shady part.
The CV 650watt is reasonably cheap and people trust that 650watt wil be good when it comes from Corsair especially. It's not the worst i have to say. If he can would upgrading to at least a CX 550watt be better. If he can return the CV that is.

Can he try with the gt 710 out of the system since not necessary and just one stick of ram? Switch sticks. Would be good to do a test on each stick alone with memtest86 which is the best tool, but needs to be set as boot disk.Windows also has an included memtest, your friend can try that too. Just use search -> memtest.

Is XMP enabled for the ram?

latest bios you installed was this one?

Version 1605 from 2021/05/11

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Integrated graphics has gotten that good? Damn... But it's the newer GT710 so it has more VRAM on board, wouldn't 2GB need to be sacrificed from main RAM for the integrated graphics? Good graphical performance isnt as much of a concern here tbh.

Can misbehaving memory cause watchdog violations? I don't think XMP is enabled.

Today I want to update SSD firmware with SSD Magician. Turning on XMP would also help I suppose.

I can do memory tests as well.

And yes, that's the latest BIOS I got. I updated ME both firmware and driver too like I said cause I know those can cause watchdog problems.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
With 16gb of ram is there enough to accomodate the igp and have all that you need left for other tasks. Since you say that performance isn't the main part so likely just for an image like videoe's and such is the igp not likely to use 2gb of ram. Haven't looked in the manual for the motherboard, but usually is there a section where you can set a max size for ram to be used by an igp if you want to limit it although i see no reason to.

Can misbehaving memory cause watchdog violations? I don't think XMP is enabled.
See if enabling XMP helps, think ram might be part of the hardware that would really affect this, the hdd/ssd might too. Think an easy check so why suggested.

Since this pc is this new is the option of reinstalling windows still on the table as well. Might be worth it.

Solution

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Okay so... had the time now... I did a SFC scan and it found a giant list of corrupted files to fix, but like I said this behaviour seems normal nowdays with new Windows builds — Can I trust this?

Did a DISM check as well with the ScanHealth parameter. Returned good results.

I went to enable XMP, but that board doesn't actually have it, just DRAM frequency which I set to 2400MHz from Auto. I tried manually punching in DRAM timings as well but the memory module is an OEM kingston so I didn't find some product sheet to see what it supports. CPU-Z is what reported it as a PC4-2401.

The RAM is also single-channel (Why? The iGPU would be so much better with dual instead of the aged GT 710)

SSD Firmware is up to date. SSD blocks are 100% fine.

Memory tests using Windows Memory Diagnostic came out fine. p95 stress test for 30 minutes targetting memory and memory controlled fine.

Wtf could it be?!?! I feel so disappointed in myself for not being able to find it... then again doing it remotely using teamviewer only is kinda hard XD

I also looked at the programs list to make sure nothing shady is in there, and I found some random programs like this:

LMoq1ml.png

Z8BHfve.png

The hell is this? The system does not have a Patriot Viper. I did read that it comes as part of ASUS's Aurora but... this just feels dirty and bloated. Too seperate RGB DRAM programs? The hell are they for? I feel like this is the problem, mainly because I dont know what else it can be. I mean watchdog violations are often software related. I might try uninstalling them.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Well it's not really an OEM build, some indendent technician built it for my friend. I've no idea where he found the OEM stick, but he seems to take away people's old systems when he gets them new one (he took away my friend's old i5 4150 PC) so something tells me this is a recycled part from some OEM PC he got? I doubt he has access to an OEM channel.

But yes, he will take care of it. I just wanted to try and fix the problem myself for the experience but my time has run out since he is coming tomorrow.

IMO I have this feeling he has messed up the installation of Windows somehow. He was the one that installed it so ig only he'd know what he did to it.

But we'll see. I'm dead curious as to what the problem with it is.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Okayyy so interesting update. Technician came by as scheduled.

His excuse for the GT-710? He claimed that the PC does not support integrated graphics. I repeatedly persisted that it does, but he kept claiming stuff like how Windows 10 does not support integrated graphics (What?). After some going back and forth, his last excuse was how it doesn't support it because it's the F variant of the 10600... it wasn't.

But surprisingly, he pulled the GPU out and it wasn't displaying video. Once that happened he kept persisting further and by that point I just stopped arguing. He then said that the graphics card he put in was faulty because the event viewer stop code for the BugChecker violation pointed towards it. I didn't check that like an idiot D:

After that, he wanted to take back the GT 710 and sell a new card to my friend. Though when he left, I took the liberty of instructing my friend how to remove the GPU and also do a CMOS reset... which surprise surprise, made the integrated video work!

I feel confident that this GPU (which who knows where he got it) was the problem. I cleaned up the old NVIDIA driver and installed the Intel one. Hopefully this will stop the crashes, and my friend will also be contacting the technician to return the GT 710 in exchange for dual-channel 16GB or maybe even 32GB memory (he installed a 16GB single channel stick because apparently it opens an opportunity for 32GB upgrade since 16GB will not be enough in a few years.)

I don't know but it feels like 32GB will be overkill for basic tasks even in five years. What's more this single channel memory is slowing down the processor's iGPU, which despite so performs better in Furmark at 16 FPS when with the GT 710 it was around 10 if I remember right. The speed of her memory is not really the best either (2400 MHz) is it worth pursuing higher speed memory?

Reactions: Vic 40

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Good to do the clear cmos after the tech left, good to hear the pc works now. Also good to be clear of the Nvidia drivers if not needed. 👍

Indeed make him return cash or switch parts for the gt 710 and maybe after that look for someone who knows really what he is talking about.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Well we'll have to see if things work out.

He has been in the field for 30 years so he probably does know what he is doing, but isn't used to being confronted by customers. I mean he did correct what he said with something that was somewhat true (In the sense that F variants don't have iGPUs, but we didnnt have the F variant to begin with). He was the one that built the the thing too, so he had to know. I'm not sure why he went with this though... Perhaps he was convinced it was the F variant.

This is common in Greece. Many people aren't tech savvy and visit such shops or indendent technicians. That's why they can do things like this and get away with it. Nobody rly questions them and I bet what happened today isn't common.

But anyways, my friend will speak to him and we'll see where it goes from there. I'm confident the problem at hand is solved though because if it isn't I'm not sure what it could be. I suggested he reinstalls Windows so I don't have to instruct my friend how to do it, but he said there's no chance of it being a Windows fault 'because they fix bugs with updates'.

Again, we'll where it goes. Hopefully problem is solved though :D

Thank you for the info! I'll give a final update when it comes around!

Reactions: Vic 40

TRENDING THREADS