watchdog_violation windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrainDeadGamer

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
Alright I just went out and bought a computer used from some guy. Specs are pentium g3258, z87 gigabyte motherboard, 500gb wd blue 8gb ram and a his 280x. Now this computer worked great for 2 weeks then I was playing csgo and it crashed. Actually it froze. I didn't think anything of it, simply restarted and hopped back in game. Then later on I was watching Netflix and it crashed this time and gave me the watchdog violation error. Been happening since constantly like every 5-10 minutes. Completely random. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Solution

Well...at this late date, I wouldn't install Windows 10. What he gave you is still the Tech Preview (hope he didn't charge you extra for that).

But anyway...yes, you can use that and do a whole clean install. But as it is just the Tech Preview, you are going to run into issues in a couple of months.
I'm guessing a HARDWARE issue, not software.

I recommend doing these things immediately to start troubleshooting:

1) Shut down and remove VIDEO CARD. Then attach monitor to motherboard (to use iGPU in Intel CPU) and start., and

2) Test System Memory using MEMTEST. www.memtest.org (run from USB or DVD... change BIOS boot order as appropriate or it will just boot into Windows. i.e. if using DVD then the DVD drive must be first, then Windows drive second)

3) run CPU diagnostic:
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792/Intel-Processor-Diagnostic-Tool-64-bit-

*If you remove the video card and the issue disappears it can also indicate a DRIVER issue (AMD), or possibly even a failing power supply due to less load but at least we narrow in on the issue. If you still freeze just put the card back in.

MEMTEST should run a full pass. It just validates the DDR3 memory (physical sticks next to CPU).

The INTEL CPU diagnostic may indicate a problem if there is bad memory since it gets its data from System Memory. i don't know if it has a way around that (by switching memory locations for bad results) so if it fails then make sure to test MEMTEST first.

OTHER TESTING:
Reinstalling Windows is one option. Another option is to run Linux off a DVD though I'm not sure if your issue happens enough to make troubleshooting easier. If you have a SPARE hard drive then I'd recommend installing the latest W10 Preview and simply unhook the current one to make things easier.

If software is corrupted in Windows 10 that can happen due to a number of things (memory, motherboard, power supply, HDD/SSD... ) so reinstalling Windows may work in the short term but if there's a hardware issue you'll get the problem back.

USAFRet

Titan

What Windows install media do you have?

USAFRet

Titan

Well...at this late date, I wouldn't install Windows 10. What he gave you is still the Tech Preview (hope he didn't charge you extra for that).

But anyway...yes, you can use that and do a whole clean install. But as it is just the Tech Preview, you are going to run into issues in a couple of months.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS