Watching 4K Netflix

Adrian_94

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017
Hey, so I bought a new intel i5 7600K and a big feature I heard about it was that I would be able to watch Netflix in 4k so my question is that if my monitor is plugged into my graphics card do I only get regular HD or do I also get the 4k from the CPU? Or do I have to plug it into the mobo?

Solution
You should be able to get 4k display from the GPU or the mobo itself (never use the mobo when you have a dedicated GPU!)

10-bit HVEC decoding is supported by GTX 10x0 series cards too, but isn't officially listed as supported, but should be.

You also need to use the Edge browser as it is the only one that supports PlayReady DRM.

You can plug it into your GFX card. Your integrated GPU is not active while the card is in there. You need to make sure which cable you should use with the gfx card. I think you will need a display port 1.4 cable.

You should be able to get 4k display from the GPU or the mobo itself (never use the mobo when you have a dedicated GPU!)

10-bit HVEC decoding is supported by GTX 10x0 series cards too, but isn't officially listed as supported, but should be.

You also need to use the Edge browser as it is the only one that supports PlayReady DRM.

Solution

Straight up wrong man. You need 10bit HVEC compatibility and playready DRM compatibility, which you make zero mention of.

You need a Kabylake CPU (10bit HVEC) and windows 10 using Edge (playready). There is absolutely no guarantee that any GPU is officially supported - they are not listed. But GTX 10x0 series cards DO support 10bit HVEC, so it SHOULD work.

So many people here posting about 4k netflix that clearly are not enjoying 4k netflix...

kevin.callaghan.us

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
I purchased an LG 32UD59 4k monitor to watch Netflix 4k streaming, and have it connected to a Dell XPS 8920 with i7-7700 processor with 16g RAM, AMD RX560 graphics card, using Windows 10 Home, Microsoft Edge, and Netflix app for Windows 10. Upgraded my Netflix account to UHD. FIOS download speed is 80mbps. Connected pc to monitor using Display Port 1.2 but can't get 4K resolution. Best resolution is 1440 on YouTube and 1080 on Netflix. Any suggestions for 4K? I thought I had everything I need.

kevin.callaghan.us

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
You can get 4k resolution from integrated graphics? Worth a try if yes. Do I need to remove or deactivate my dedicated card? My AMD card supports 4k but maybe not Netflix but spoke to both AMD and Netflix and they can't answer.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
4K netflix on PC has a bunch of DRM that results in very specific requirements, i.e. win 10, edge browser, etc. Originally Kaby Lake (i.e. i7 7700) integrated graphics were the only way to get 4K netflix on PC. They eventually added support for Geforce 10 GPUs, but I don't know if they've added support for any AMD cards.

But yes, modern integrated graphics are perfectly capable of streaming/playing 4K video.

kevin.callaghan.us

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017

Thanks a lot. I will try this. Did not want to have to buy a $150 gtx1050 or $500 gtx1080. I am not a gamer.

kevin.callaghan.us

Prominent
Oct 17, 2017
I enabled Netflix 4K on my LG 32ud59 monitor! You were right, TJ, the problem was that the AMD RX560 graphics card does not support Netflix 4K so as you suggested, I switched the monitor to the integrated graphics port and was able to view both Netflix 4K and YouTube 4K. Only problem next was that when I disabled my AMD graphics card using the Device Manager, my screen flickered badly. So I re-enabled the card but kept the monitor connected to the integrated port. I read that you should not have two graphics cards connected at the same time so don't know what I should do next. Is it OK to leave the AMD card connected and enabled? Thanks again for the solution.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Honestly, if you're not seeing any issues having both enabled, I'd just stick with that. It won't hurt anything. I guess your PC may use a bit more power than necessary having the RX 560 running if you're not using it, but it shouldn't draw much power at idle and it's a low power car anyway.