[SOLVED] Watching dvds on laptop, via usb dvd drive. Is there any benefit from buying a DVD player?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NOT_PROVIDED_16

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2015
I've recently started watching some old dvds. I've been watching them on a USB dvd drive connected to my laptop, then thats connected to my TV. I've been using VLC media player.
Would there be any benefit from buying a dvd player? some advertise as being able to upscale? or am i already getting the best quality?

Solution
Thanks for everyone's help!
I was browsing DVD players on eBay today and noticed well known retailer were offering Brand New upscaling dvd players for only £18 with a dvd included with free delivery (i chose another classic doctor who dvd!!!). It will be delivered within the next 48hrs!

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019
one point to consider is noise.

those USB-atached DVD drives can be noisy at times, where dedicated DVD players are silent.

You may try to find review of good dvd players from 5-15 years ago, there should be information about quality of upscaling etc.

when you are set to a model, just search for it on ebay or you local classified adds platform (craigslist etc). should be cheap

NOT_PROVIDED_16

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2015
one point to consider is noise.

those USB-atached DVD drives can be noisy at times, where dedicated DVD players are silent.

You may try to find review of good dvd players from 5-15 years ago, there should be information about quality of upscaling etc.

when you are set to a model, just search for it on ebay or you local classified adds platform (craigslist etc). should be cheap
Whenever I use the usb DVD drive I just put it a drawer while it playing. Then it's completely silent!

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
The laptop's DVD being internal, that leaves me believing you are using one of the laptop's USB port to connect to the TV. If I understand correctly, I recommend getting "male to female" USB adapter, that way the adapter takes the hit of being constantly having the TV plugged in, unplugged, plugged in, unplugged, and so on.

artk2219

Distinguished
I've recently started watching some old dvds. I've been watching them on a USB dvd drive connected to my laptop, then thats connected to my TV. I've been using VLC media player.
Would there be any benefit from buying a dvd player? some advertise as being able to upscale? or am i already getting the best quality?

You're pretty much getting the best quality, but as other have pointed out its probably not the most convenient thing to constantly be hooking up and unhooking your laptop. You could also use an Xbox 360\one, ps3\4 if you have one hooked up, most modern disk based consoles will also play DVD's at good quality just fine (excluding the wii\u because Nintendo decided to pull a Nintendo for no reason).

NOT_PROVIDED_16

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2015
Thanks for everyone's help!
I was browsing DVD players on eBay today and noticed well known retailer were offering Brand New upscaling dvd players for only £18 with a dvd included with free delivery (i chose another classic doctor who dvd!!!). It will be delivered within the next 48hrs!

Reactions: artk2219
Solution