[SOLVED] Water cooled i7 7700k overheating badly

Feb 11, 2019
First of all, hello to everyone!

My setup

MB Asus Prime Z270 A
CPU i7 7700k
PS Corsair Vengeance 650M
GPU Strix 1080

I have a Liqmax II 240 on the cpu, with the 2 fans sucking air in the front of the case through the radiator and 2 case fans blowing air out from the back. The PC is one year old, and it was always fine with this setup. Suddenly about a week ago, it started overheating badly, with the fans running at full speed all the time. On idle runs at 65°, but as soon as i start a stress test it jumps to 100° in a matter of seconds. Sometimes it won't even reboot after i restart it, with the bios warning me for overheating cpu. The cpu clock is really high (4.4GHz) with no load on it, even tho both the bios and the windows power manager are set to power saving mode. The water block pump seems to work fine, in the bios it registers about 2k rpms, and i can ear it running. Also one pipe is really hot, and the other one cold. I cleaned all the vents as well as the fans and the radiator, but it still overheats. I changed thermal compound and still nothing. What should i do next? Could the water cooler be in some way the problem, even tho it seems to work just fine? Should i try to buy an aircooler and see how it runs with that, or it isn't worth it? Thanks

Solution
While the over heating is one issue, there is the second issue, the cpu oc , since you seem to think the cpu frequency is "really high (4.4GHz)". The frequency is not the base 4.20 GHz but more like the max turbo, 4.5 GHz. This constant turbo freq will increase heat just as well as the poor cooling. I would look for the ASUS "cheat", of engaging MCE to automatically engage turbo from idle on up, regardless of load. Look a AI Tweaking, pg 20 of the manual for MCE and consider turning it off.

I just added a Noctua 15s. It maximizes cooling and stays quiet as well.
First, is the paste spreaded when you remove the cooler from cpu?
Yes, its not an contact issue.

If you touch hose of radiator, one should be cold other hotter, also air from radiator should be warm (if you've let him get to get warm (since water takes time to heat up,but dont risk it, since the idle temp is high).

Is pump running 100%? Have you checked that in bios?
Yes its not that issue.

Which voltage?
What if you run wihout overclock?(stock)

The last thing might be bad paste between tim and chip itself thanks to intels using paste for it, I think this chip was nutorious for it to have bad thermals?

Feb 11, 2019
The paste is well spread, as i said one hose is clearly hotter then the other. The pump is running at 2k rpms in the bios, but i have no idea if that is 100% or not. Cpu voltage is 1.12V and it's not overclocked.

if the other pipe is cold , then, I'd say it's not pumping....regardless of what sounds you hear.

It's ludicrous to think 1 second of time flowing through a radiator with a couple fans blowing is going to chill fluid back down to 23C, etc....

Is your fluid affair covered under warranty? If expired, replaced with a Noctua and call it a day

Feb 11, 2019

Thank you very much! I'll give the Noctua a go i think!

Feb 28, 2019
I had the same issue. My temps would spike anytime the CPU was working. Burning dvd's would cause the temps to climb past 90C... I have a corsair watercooler and the radiator was not even getting hot. This means the heat was never transferring to the cooling system. After delidding the CPU my temps never get above 65-70C and my radiator gets hot, which means the heat is being pulled off the CPU properly. Shame we have to delid these CPUs just to get them to perform properly. Now I am able to run a slight OC to 4.8g and my temps are normal.

While the over heating is one issue, there is the second issue, the cpu oc , since you seem to think the cpu frequency is "really high (4.4GHz)". The frequency is not the base 4.20 GHz but more like the max turbo, 4.5 GHz. This constant turbo freq will increase heat just as well as the poor cooling. I would look for the ASUS "cheat", of engaging MCE to automatically engage turbo from idle on up, regardless of load. Look a AI Tweaking, pg 20 of the manual for MCE and consider turning it off.

I just added a Noctua 15s. It maximizes cooling and stays quiet as well.

Solution