Water cooled PC system overheating?? virus or dead pump?

fififirefly78

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
I've had a Medion Erazer Desktop Gaming PC MD8424 for about 5 years. Spec: Intel Core i7 3930K, Windows 7, 16gb ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 680, Cougar psu 750w (installed a new psu as the one medion installed was only 600w) ssd hd and seagate 2tb hdd.
Last night the CPU was running at 65c and the water cooler fan came on really loud. I have medion erazer centre which gives cpu temps and fan speeds. The cpu went as high as 79 degrees so i turned the machine off. Cleaned all fans this morning ( I clean them every few months) still making loud noise coming from the back of PC!!
The CPU fan 4200rpm at one point, PCH fan 4300rpm and case fan 2100rpm.
I turned the machine off.
Could it be the water cooler and how do i replace it? It has a black radiator a fan that blows air out the back of the PC. There's two pipes, one is warm the other cooler, which are attached to a round fan above the cpu. I've never cleaned this fan. It felt hot to touch but surely if it was broke the pipe wouldn't feel cold.This is bolted to the board with four screws and it looks like there's a metal clip or wire thing under it?? I'm worried if i remove the fan it could damage the cpu, my friend did this to his pc, tried to remove the water cooler and damaged his processor pins. I
THe water cooler has made a ticking noise like a hdd but it's not from the hdd, so could be that? Been making that noise for a month or so
In all the 5 years, never reapplied thermal paste or done anything to the water cooler.
virus checked my pc, it runs and boots up, ran malaware bytes but nothing suspicious.
Friend said it could be a diode gone on the mainboard.
[​IMG]
No one I know knows about water cooling even the tech in PC world didn't.

BigBoomBoom

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017
79C is not hot. Well it's warm, still not hot. Anyway sounds like thermal paste dried out, usually you replace it within 2-4 years depending on paste.

Have never heard of anyone breaking CPU by removing the water block/heatsink. Unless you got yucky paste that somehow glued the heatsink with CPU I guess. I rarely clean my fans, when I do I actually take out every fans AND heatsink for a thorough clean, and that means reapplying paste as well.

First reaply your thermal paste and see.
If it's not fixed it could be the pump or gunk in the loop.
Since it's a medion thermal paste is the first issue but be carefull as they usually use very stick paste that dries up after about 3 years and you can pull the cpu out of the socket.