Water-Cooled SSDs Are A Thing Now, As EKWB Launches 750 Series Water Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rheotome

Reputable
Oct 12, 2015

Yes, it would start heating up, what is the problem with that ?

wkwilley2

Reputable
Aug 4, 2014
What's next? Water-cooling DVD drives? Or how about headphones? We need water-cooled headphones. Because the fans on mine just aren't cutting it.

That's a great idea. My ears always get so sweaty.

durahl

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Lets clear up some misunderstanding for those confused about the need of such a Cooler.
You don't invest into a water cooled System because of this SSD Water Cooler.
You invest into this SSD Water Cooler because of the water cooled System.

If you're like me ( http://i.imgur.com/3bck03l.jpg ) then chances are that, despite having a whole lot of ventilation in general, you're still lacking it at this piece of hardware intended location as the airflow is optimized somewhere else.

This is where this tech comes into play.
It's not for those that have plenty airflow.
It's for those that don't have it.

PCIe SSD's produce a lot of heat.

However, while I get the argument above about limited space so may need water-cooling to help, I would think anybody who would buy this would know how to have sufficient air flow for this product.

Yes, it produces more heat than a regular SATA SSD, but NO I don't think it's likely too hard to cool on air with a modicum of air flow.

With liquid cooling you'd likely already have the CPU cooled and dumping that heat outside the case, not to mention how small can the case be when using a PCIe SSD means you likely aren't using a mini-ITX setup anyway?

Most small cases cannot fit watercooling components well. The radiators, blocks, resorvoirs, pumps, and tubing all take up a bunch of space. Even mid-size ATX cases can have difficulty. By time you get a case that fits a proper watercooling system, airflow is already good enough to support the small heat the SSDs produce.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014
Unless it gets so hot that the SSD downclocks, (at what, 80C or higher?) no use for water cooling or a fan. The chips's lifespan shouldn't be affected. Still will last 20 years + (or when write endurance wears out).

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014

I'd like to see a peltier cooled/heated headphones. You could have it adjust temperature to your gaming environment if you like.

brucen13

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
These water blocks are NOT intended for your standard SSD drives writing at 500 MB/s and 100,000 IOPS. That would be ludicrous!

These blocks are intended for enthusiast SSD drives writing at 1,500 MB/s or faster, and 300,000 IOPS. Running multiple queue depths and constant bit transfers at that that speed, like when encoding a video, can cause the SSD to skyrocket past its thermal throttling limit very quickly. People using these drives under demanding conditions need a way to dissipate the heat, and something like a water block is going to keep the drive at peak performance much better than factory-installed heat fins. Some of the high end drives don't even ship with a cooling solution. That's why a product like this is welcome news to system builders using the new generation of SSD drives coming to market, not the people swapping out a hard drive with a consumer-level SSD.

hst101rox

Reputable
Aug 28, 2014

Yup at least SATA ones. Maybe 4 watts max with sequential writes on a few models. But the PC express ones, the Intel 750 is rated at 10w read, 22 watts write so as much as a low voltage CPU. Maybe the stock heatsink sometimes isn't enough if you don't have enough airflow through the case and the SSD is going all out.

3ogdy

Distinguished
No, they are not a thing. They are bullsh¡t. Looks like EKWB needs to fire people, because obviously too many have too much spare time over there. By the way....since my computer fans spin so quickly....I believe I might need water cooling for my fan blades (each one of them with a separate pump, if possible). Can I get that too? Water cool my keyboard, my mobile phone, my country's flag....how about using saliva while you're at it? Can we get some water cooling for our as*es, then? Tongue-based WC would be amazing, especially if it's EKWB providing the service. What's next, EKWB? A pipe coming straight from the north pole that cools things down and we pay monthly subscriptions for that service?

You don't provide water cooling for HDDs that run hotter than SSDs, but you do provide that for a bunch of flash on a PCB. Nice. Smart. We're going from niche market to idiotic product development. Even 15.K RPM HDDs have PASSIVE cooling - a heatsink around them. But SSDs seem to be the Prescott of a new era...since they overheat so much. So much. So. much. The best has yet to come: water cooling my toilet paper and each screw inside my PC ----or maybe the ones in your heads? I think my toilet could use some of your services, as I would like my sh¡t to have LEDs and be fragmented into pieces in complete silence at sub-zero temperatures. I have a dream: that one day my sh¡t will have a dedicated water cooling system from EKWB. Because utter sh¡t makes products for sh¡t.

HOW ABOUT WATERCOOLING CONDOMS? That would definitely make a difference. Especially internally. When it comes to anal, it would be the main competition for your tongues, though. I think even the pills we take need WC. Hell, even our bodies need water cooling (they already have a system, but why not upgrade, right?). I would like my casket to be water cooled, seriously. And if there are ANY leaks or manufacturing defects, I want the new coolant to be the blood of the guy who had this SSD water cooling idea. Dracula would be your perfect client. You see, I already know your road map, blood-cooling coming in 2017! Try to talk to animals, see if they need any custom WC.

Do you know whether God has any need for water cooling? Satan definitely needs your services. There you go, expand your market!
"Our products are hot as hell, and keep your buttocks cool".. I would also need custom water cooling for bombs. Can you provide that? Of course you can. Since we're at 14nm manufacturing process wise, how about providing per-pin WC for each PCIExpress slot on my motherboard?

You see, the biggest mistake in this market was when your mother(s) decided to give birth to someone like some of your "engineers". Look where we are. I hope you water cool my prayers for some more intelligent people in I.T.

Like Einstein put it:
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity....and I'm not sure about the first. Best example: EKWB.

Pfff, who uses water? Liquid nitrogen is the way to go.

3ogdy

Distinguished

You have no idea about the mighty powers of holy water. It truly is the only way to go. It comes signed by Christ the man Himself. EKWB is in the process of building a system to convert Christ's tears from the sky into the Nº1 coolant on Earth. Just wait.

You'd be surprised how hot they can get.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hhdWwvh5kI

I've also got a 64GB Sandisk Cruzer Fit USB flash drive - the one about the size of a mouse nanoreceiver. It gets too hot to touch when copying large amounts of data to it.

It's important to understand that heat generation and temperature are different things. Heat transfer rate is proportional to temperature delta. That is, if you have 2x the temperature difference between the object and air, there's 2x the heat transfer rate. When an object heats up, the temperature increases (thus increasing the rate at which heat is dissipated to the air) until the rate of heat dissipation is high enough to match the rate of heat generation. So an insulated item can reach a much higher temperature even though it's generating the exact same amount of heat as when it's uninsulated.

Blueberries

Reputable
Dec 3, 2014
The SM951s had overheating issues but the 950 Pro solves this problem with 3D V-NANDS. I've never heard of anybody having heat issues with the Intel 750, especially considering Intel already supplies it with a heat sink and thermal pads.

I wish I had so much money I was considering silly stuff like this just for the chic factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.