Question Water cooler removal problem

Mar 30, 2019
Hi so I purchased a cpu on eBay with a water cooler already still installed on it and I’m looking at the screws to take off the heat sink and they look like nylon screws like clear plastic screws but the screws are kinda star shaped. Will a screw driver work or do I need a special tool? It’s an HP water cooler that came from a H9-1340 desktop pc.

Mar 30, 2019
by kinda star shaped you dont mean phillips head?if it isnt phillips it is probably torx,and yes you need the correct driver so as not to strip it.a picture would be helpful here.
ndx1tw.jpg

hypogogic

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
If it's in tight you could try pliers on the plastic fitting around it to try loosen it off. That is a torque screwdriver and it's ruined the screw using a star one obviously.

You need to get the right screwdriver either a torque 5 or 7 driver. Press it in hard and turn it anticlockwise slowly. If it doesn't budge you could cut them near the top, remove the cooler and get grips to lock on and remove the threads from the motherboard. Then just buy 4 new screws.

I'd stick a paper towel around a screwdriver and press it in hard and turn slowly to try free it up. Be careful not to out too much pressure on it as it could crack the board.

Hope this helps

Reactions: ElectrO_90
Mar 30, 2019
If it's in tight you could try pliers on the plastic fitting around it to try loosen it off. That is a torque screwdriver and it's ruined the screw using a star one obviously.

You need to get the right screwdriver either a torque 5 or 7 driver. Press it in hard and turn it anticlockwise slowly. If it doesn't budge you could cut them near the top, remove the cooler and get grips to lock on and remove the threads from the motherboard. Then just buy 4 new screws.

I'd stick a paper towel around a screwdriver and press it in hard and turn slowly to try free it up. Be careful not to out too much pressure on it as it could crack the board.

Hope this helps
Thanks will try!