Question Water cooling 1080ti in 2023???

AMKAM III

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2015
As the heading says, I am still in Pascal gen.

Let me start with the rig. I have a 9900K along with a Zotac 1080TI mini. In the near future, I may purchase a 4090ti or XTX 7900 with the 7950X Ryzen.So,
Option 1: Water cooling I have a Kraken G12 already. I'm thinking about getting a Deepcool Lt520 for the core and a copper heatsink from Alphacool for the vram and mosfet, along with changing all the thermal pads and a big aluminum heatsink for the backplate.

Option 2: air cooling with the heatsink that came with the GPU, just changing the thermal pads, and then a big aluminum heatsink as a backplate.

or just wait for the new system. Can't decide

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Option 1: Water cooling I have a Kraken G12 already. I'm thinking about getting a Deepcool Lt520 for the core and a copper heatsink from Alphacool for the vram and mosfet, along with changing all the thermal pads and a big aluminum heatsink for the backplate.
Don't need any of the stuff mentioned in the underlines. All those can be adequately air cooled alone.
Been running a G12 on my 1080Ti since the end of June 2020 with no hitches. G12 + Celsius S36 pump head + NF-A9, is all that's attached to it.

Option 2 is a waste as well, with the pads and additional heatsink, as Pascal is a pretty cool operator. GDDR5X and the VRM/mosfets can be cooled by just the fans.
Now, the more extreme overclocked 1080Ti models might need pads and sinks on their VRM/mosfets, but I doubt your Zotac Mini does.
FYI, mine is a Gigabyte Gaming OC.

Save that cash for the major upgrade, unless you just want to sate your curiosity.