Water cooling a 980ti / 1080ti with an AIO 240Mm - worth it?

lukas13x

Honorable
Apr 17, 2013
Hi,

Currently I have a i7 3770k with an msi gaming 980ti. Im planning on upgrading to a i5 8600k and 1080ti. I will be buying an aio cooler for my cpu, most likely a 240mm rad but I'm considering buying a 240mm for the gpu as well. Im buying the coolers for my current setup then upgrading my components in a few months.
I also thought about buying the EK FLUID GAMING A360G or A240G but it seems like a lot of maintenance and I don't want that.
So is it worth buying a 240mm rad aio cooler for a gpu or is air enough?

Thanks.

Solution
Air is certainly enough, otherwise they wouldn't be sold that way. If you want to overclock the GPU a lot, then there is some value in using an AIO cooling solution. Keep in mind you are spending quite a lot for minor gains.

EKs kits are decent. But you would have to make sure what you buy now for a GPU block is compatible with both the 980Ti and 1080Ti. Better to wait until you have the hardware you want to water cool in hand. Full cover blocks can make a difference, but it is again small gains especially over an AIO solution. Most of the heat comes from the GPU itself, then the Memory, and finally the VRMs.

"A lot of maintenance" If you use distilled water maintenance can be as much as year+ depending on how much you use your...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Air is certainly enough, otherwise they wouldn't be sold that way. If you want to overclock the GPU a lot, then there is some value in using an AIO cooling solution. Keep in mind you are spending quite a lot for minor gains.

EKs kits are decent. But you would have to make sure what you buy now for a GPU block is compatible with both the 980Ti and 1080Ti. Better to wait until you have the hardware you want to water cool in hand. Full cover blocks can make a difference, but it is again small gains especially over an AIO solution. Most of the heat comes from the GPU itself, then the Memory, and finally the VRMs.

"A lot of maintenance" If you use distilled water maintenance can be as much as year+ depending on how much you use your computer. Depending on how often you upgrade components you might be taking it apart anyway.

Solution