Water cooling and very high CPU temperatures

Bfyre93

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
I hope I can clarify my problem well, as English is not my primary language.
I have pretty new PC, which I built myself from parts in february. Actually, except for the motherboard, as it was not available in my country, it is "little monster" build by logainofhades (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3127673/build-000-build.html?_ga=2.169004961.1241082614.1498160654-174916544.1498160654#18311401).
But to the topic. I have water cooling, Cryorig A80. All CPU temperatures were fine until today - around 30 degrees (Celsius) when idle, 50 or less when playing games. Today it became 80 degrees when idle and up to 100 when trying to run pretty much anything. It doesn't go higher, as the CPU slows down after it reaches 100 degrees - but of course it impacts performance, programs and games crash or work very slowly. I opened the case, checked the thermal paste (actually re-applied it, just in case) and screwed the cooler back on firmly. All the fans are running, but I'm not sure about the liquid pump. Can't tell if it's working, as I don't really know if the vibrations I feel when touching it are coming from it, or from other components around. It has been really quiet anyway right from the beginning. I also checked if the radiator or any other part of the cooling is not covered in dirt or dust. So my question is - has my cooling system just died after few months of (not so heavy) usage? Should I try doing anything on my own, or just accept the fact, use warranty and ask for replacement?

Bfyre93

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Thank you for quick response, krells! :) Yeah, it has probably died, as pump doesn't report any rpm. Only fans. I also connected it to another sata power cable to check if it's not the cable that failed, but nothing changed. I guess the heatsink still works, at least in a passive way, as the temperature goes back slowly to 75-80C after few minutes of little bit more intense usage. May I ask if it is safe to use this system for 2-3 days with the CPU temperatures between 75-100C? Couldn't find any replacement cooler for 2011 socket anywhere in my city, so I have to wait few days before it ships from an online shop. I don't want to burn the CPU, but I need it desperately for at least next two days (IT studies programming project for Monday - not CPU demanding though ;) ).

krells

Distinguished
If stays under 80c you you won't have any problems. The CPU will shutdown if it gets too hot to keep itself from being permanently damaged. If temperatures are hovering close to 100c I would go into bios and reduce voltage and clock speed to bring it down a bit.

Latest posts