Water Cooling ASUS Rampage Formula

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I paid a pretty penny for this motherboard. I'm not going to risk taking the NB heatsink off. I've got zip ties, I just need a 40mm fan. I have absolutely no idea where the zip ties have to pass through the fan nor the heatsink. Any help on how it's done, advice, photo's, links etc is appreciated.
Failing at failling is sweet success!
Lavacon. You're an idiot. You fail at explaining something simple. Go chew on a buffalo's anus.
I've zip tied fans plenty. Just not on a northbridge that won't allow it done from the top. The space to place it by the side is very tight and zip tied fans are rattle prone. You have useless photos up your ass but can't come up with something for this? Pathetic...

I am pretty sure that is exactly what you are asking. Besides that, you have done nothing in this forum except demand answers and reply to posts with ignorant arrogance and the personality of a rabid badger.

Again, I offer the question:
If he fails at explaining something so simple to you, why does it even need to be explained in the first place?

Lavacon

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Nontech,

I suggest starting a new thread. Make sure to clearly specify the information you are looking for. This thread, as it stands, is dead.

My apologies to theLaminator, as I hope he got the information he needed.

PS @ Nontech:

squarewheel.jpg

modtech

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Yea keep up with your posts lavacon they're as worthless as yourself. As for starting a new thread that's what I would have done anyway. You're the one who came out "trying" to insult and that's why I fought back.

Sure this thread is dead.

Anyway I got the northbridge sorted, not with a zip tied 40mm fan but with a 120mm blowing across. Thanks for the nothing loser.

theLaminator

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Sorry I'm just now getting back to my thread guys I've had to move and haven't had internet for a few days now. Thanks for the info but do you think I'm better off using a spot cooler or including the NB in the loop? I'm on air right now and can hit 4.26 with a 533 fsb and x8 multi but its not stable. I'd like to take that a little bit further but I'd be happy with it at 4.26, is that extreme overclocking in your book?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'd say that you are doing pretty good at that speed. (what's stock for an 8400?) You might get some more room with a waterblock on the NB, or even just a NB heatsink cooler with a fan. I think Thermalright makes some decent ones...either way, probably about the same cost.

Naviblue

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
Owner of the Rampage Formula, I have a current OC of 3.7 on the Q9450. You add in a HD 4870 and you got some serious heat issues, I have a setup right now with a 90mm fan sitting on top of my X-Fi soundcard and the water hose from my waterblock holding it down (hope you can picture that), my only concern is with the vibration from the fan that may or may not cause problems to the sound card. Without the 90mm fan, I'd be running around 55c and with it on and case open, it'll be hovering around 44c, so about a 10 degrees difference which is well worth it. My Cpu idles around 23c and under load hits around 35c. My motherboard temps seem to right around the Northbridge temps which makes me wonder how close those sensors really are.

Anywho, I don't like how the Southbridge is connected to the Northbridge on this motherboard, as many have stated already, the Southbridge isn't supposed to get hot at all, but since the two are connected, my southbridge is hitting upwards of 55c (44c with 90mm fan blowing on NB) and that just doesn't sit with me well. So watercooling or alternate air cooling the Northbridge is the best choice in my opinion.

In my case, I don't like having the side of my case left open and I don't know about everyone else, but I like a clean look so I'm definitely going to add a waterblock to the Northbridge so I can put my siding of my case back on. In the end, I hope it'll give me some more OC headroom, somewhere near the 4ghz mark ^^.

Some additional information: CPU waterblock is Swifttech Apogee GTX, Thermochill 120.2.0 (4 x 120mm Panaflo Fans), FrozenCPU 5.25" Bayres, Swiftech MCP60 Pump, Koolance Blue Liquid

GSkill DDR2 PC2 8800 (2x2GB 5-5-5-15) (Corsair CMXAF1 Fans) l Powercolor 4870 512mb l 2 x Western Digital Raptors 37 gb 16mb in Raid O l Creative X-Fi Xtrememusic l PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad (Crossfire Edition) l Asus MK241H 24" LCD Monitor 2ms l Lian Li Server Case l Windows Vista Ultimate 64 l Sennheiser HD-590

belacyrf

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
I just put my PC together a couple days ago.

Specs are:
Thermaltake Armor + w/ built in liquid cooling
Rampage Forumla MB
Q9550 2.83Ghz Processor
8GB (4x2GB) Corsair Dominator DD2 (1066) Memory
(1) WD Velociraptor
(2) Seagate 1TB drives
Sapphire ATI 4870 X2

Currently the CPU runs at a decent 28c at idle and about 36c at load
The NB and SB idle at 50c all the time. I really dont have a place to put my PC where it has access to cool air all the time. So it's going to run hot. And with the HD4870 X2 card in it, the box gets really hot.

The case has 2 140mm fans (1 front and 1 back) and it has a 230mm fan in the case side window blowing onto the board. If I add the cheesy little NB cooler that comes with MB, the NB temps drop 1c.

I'm considering water cooling for the NB as well (seems SB is hot by osmosis), just need to find blocks that work without issue.

gingerbee

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
water cool the whole thing if you have the time and money and yes i do think water cooling nb is a good idea for keeping your system stable at even good overclock the cooler the better i like to think

gingerbee

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
second thought if your are think about the swiftech ultra kit try and find the ultra+ kit from them it comes with a nb and gpu blocks and the price increase is fair 280$ canadian

richardscott

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
not to but into a argument but trying to provide help cooling a nb with WC is ott cos im running at 520fsb with the standard fan the mobo came with on the nb and it runs like a dream.

AgoniesFury

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
was reading the thread and this might be to late but all i did was remove the entire heatsink, wiggled the copper pipe and slowly but surely that neat little SB heatsink with ROG tag on it came off, severed the ombilical cord to the NB!!! Have a swiftech GTZ and a chipset water block and run 3.8ghz stable on my q6600!!!!

tricecold

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I use the same motherboard, water cooling my cpu, afraid to water cool my nb with water cooling because I burned my striker 2 extreme by failing of proper installation of EK NB water block on it.

SB doesnt really need a cooler but u can remove the ROG cover on SB and install a mini fan on it which I did this way. Also you can cool the NB with fans, However If you are aiming for 4 ghz like me which will need some voltage around 1.6 on q6600 which currently runs at 3.6 Ghz at 1.43 Voltage, you will definitly need a water cooler for 4.0 GHZ because I tried and it gets hot... BTW what brand is that Water block for rampage anyone ?
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/eastcoasthandle/Maximus%20Forumula/Max_Formula3_edited.jpg

I got a question regarding the Asus rampage formula. I do want to watercool the NB (its way too hot in spain to even OC to 3 GHZ with a BIG fan blowing air all over the heatsink; i used a thermaltake dual PCI Slot fan that moves like 26 CFM and blows directly on the heatsink)
Now my problem is not to remove the Heatsink, nor do leak testing etc, Its how can u really remove that heatsink ? You leave Heatpipe there?
I mean, heatpipe is "inside" the Wave form heatsink, and right over the NB Chip...
I feel its gonna be tricky to get it done. And if it its possible, can u keep the heatsink to use the NB Waterblock to actually cool the WHOLE Stuff?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You could remove the big heatsink, but you would need to provide cooling solutions for the components it cools, like SB, MOSFETs, etc. You would then need to determine if there are mounting options as well for these heatsinks and blocks. I think some of the Asus rampages come with waterblock/heatsinks, but I don't know that I would trust them.

BTW...26CFM isn't very much. Are you sure that heat is your issue? You might need to look at the volts you are pushing...I know for a fact that SLI boards need a little more voltage for CPU and RAM to get them up to speed than the Intel chipsets.

supa-ted

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

Don't even know if this guy is still knocking around but i'll add my piece anyway. I have recently invested in a watercooling system from watercoolinguk.co.uk. Now, yes it was expensive and I had to buy all the parts seperatly and build the thing. It took time and money, however, I now have a q6600 @ 3.6ghz from 2.4. Thats near asw damn it a 50% increase which kinda proves you wrong, sorry but there it is)) I have an Asus rampage Extreme and have the Northbridge in the loop, as far as I can see it also takes care of the Southbridge. So, to our friend wanting some advice, maybe from someone that has actually ( succesfully built the whole system ) Yes it is well worth it. Apart from phase cooling nothing beats water cooling for consistant cooling and noise, what noise?? And finally, the look, as far as I'm concerned, nothing beats the look of a properly set up watercooling system with UV parts ( lights and water ) if you have the cash go for it. If you want pictures email me at supa-ted@live.co.uk

Conumdrum

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Looks like a ressurect and nothing new to add.

Yadda Yadda Yadda, seen the same thing on Home Shopping Channel.

Supa, you got a PM. Welcome to a forum that understands rules and common sense.

BTW, your rig and overclock is nothing special, it'a a older chip too. No news here.

supa-ted

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Thanks for thw welcone. I don't at any point remember quoting or stating that my system is ( special ) I mearly stated that this guy who jumped in telling people not to watercool was wrong about the noise and that you can get a much higher overclock than he was suggesting. I appreciate that my chip isn't ( new ) but im damn sure it's one of the best overclocking chips for the cash!!!! Anyway even with an i7920 can go to 4ghz ( on air ) so if what your suggesting is that i was trying to say that my processor was new or ( amazing ) im not.

BTW kinda pointless welcoming somebody and then having a digg.

supa-ted

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Have just read your message , whatever your name is and your arrogance stinks. Who are you do say wether ppl can or cant write summit on here. I tell you summit for nothing, if you actually want any friends you might wanna go to charm school coz you aint gonna get anywhere in life with that attitude. Further more, carrying on an old thread??? The last post on here was the end of May?? You must be a kid, i mean the fact that you think that is a long time is all relevent!!! And I kinda think you replying to my post puts us in the same shoes in my eyes but hey we can keep this thread open together if you like?? Maybe if you actually want to use some tact and talk to me again we might start again. I appreciate your prob a fast typer but bit of advice, think...... before........ your........fingures......... hit........those.........keys.........

Thankyou

Jagdwold

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
my evga 680i just crapped out and they wont warranty the item cause I water cooled everything on the board but the mosfet.

I am going to get the rampage formula and I found a factory north/south water block its from bitspower.com. I have the old qx6700 and I oc so heat is a real issue. I also fly a single gtx8800 thats factory water cooled and i could fry eggs on it with out water. Thanks for at least letting me know that this is a pretty sweet MB. I wont build a new liquid cooled rig until late 2010. But in having to put a new MB in my current rig, I might as well do the best I can for it so it will last another year. I used Danger Den stuff for the north, south, cpu and gpu on dual loops. But the north/south blocks were custom fit and take up a lot of space, the new bitspower block is really low profile.

So when im done, its gonna have one loop for the cpu, one loop for the gpu (which may get a gtx 280 factory water cooled at some point) and the 8800 gets moved to a liquid cooled physX duty, and then im gonna cool the north south and mosfet on a third loop.

Coin will tell in January will let everyone know.

G

I have the Rampage Formula and until recently after changing my graphics card and tidying up the cables I've managed to get the temperature down to 44c for both NB and SB. What's the threshold of these chipset? I've got 2 Noctua's cooling my computer and I still find it noisy. If I don't use the resistors the NB and SB will shoot up to 55-60c.

Any ideas?

asbonasty

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I also own a rampage formula and my NB runs at about 50oC at default speeds and Ive lapped the heatsinks, applied artic silver paste etc etc etc.

Id like to OC this machine now so I recon a water cooled setup is the way to go...plus I could reuse some of the bits on any new system I get with the help of a bit of milling/CNC work :)

asbonasty :)