water cooling fanless

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
Ok, this is an idea I had for a long time, never going to do it as I hate water cooling but i'm wondering if anyone has done this.

Have all the crap inside the computer hooked up to the loop, route the water cooling outside of the computer, into a bucket of water, then to another rad on the other side, and put a pump that pushes the water to circulate in it.

wondering if anyone ever did something like this and how it turned out.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

The idea i had always had an open top and you put some ice into it every now and then, I did consider the idea of a huge reservoir, but i think that poses to much potential to dirty the loop and cause cleaning it more often then you should would be come a necessity.

That's a good point, impurities would build up in the bucket and could clog the tubes.

JoeyJoystick

Prominent
Apr 15, 2017

'Done it and it was all 'Of the Shelve'. When I first moved to Thailand in early 2005 the first thing I did was building me a new computer. All fine so far. But when in May/June it started getting seriously hot I noticed that my PC would shutdown several times in a week for no obvious reason. I did not want to take the covers away for better cooling like everyone does here in Thailand because it is just wrong in mind. I suspected heat, but I wasn't sure. So I ran my pc in the living room with the airconditioner on. I done this for 2 weeks and my PC never shutdown once. So here I had a plausible cause. Now the solution. Since I also used the PC as a multimedia device and play all my music and movies from it, I was not impressed with any solutions that included fans. With or without liquid cooling that is. And then I stumbled upon this really cool radiator. It was basically a 1 meter long tubular heat sink of aluminium standing vertically on the ground. Came as a complete set with pump and the cooling thingy for the processor. Worked like a charm, virtually no noise, looked ok for and sure saved me a fortune on electric.

My dilemma is that I forgot the name of the manufacturer and would really love to buy this again. I have been looking for it many times over the past 5 years and I can't find it anymore. But the concept works great and it also shows that it doesn't have to be big and ugly.

Joey