Question Water-cooling fans ramp up to max speed when playing Far Cry 5, doesn't do this in any other game ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thuduke

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
Hey. I just launched Far cry 5 and noticed my water-cooling fans for my Ryzen 7800x3d max out? Ive tried other games such as far cry 6, WoW, elden ring and RE4 remake and none of them have this issue, the cooler is working properly and is practically silent.

This copy of far cry 5 was purchased on steam and then launches through UPLAY, so perhaps that has something to do with it but that would be incredibly stupid.

The cpu reaches around 20-25 percent usage in far cry 5.

Anybody has similar issues? just really strange. Thanks

Solution
Right, thats the weird thing. the temps never go above 45-50 while playing far cry 5. its just as soon as the game launches its 100 percent fan speed, then the literal second i close the game the fans drop down to the normal 20 percent speed as expected

I have set the fan curve to only reach 100 percent speed when the CPU exceeds 75 degrees, 80 percent when the temps reach 60 degrees etc.
The CPU is apparently briefly spiking high enough to get the fans going for a bit. I imagine that could happen if the game is using the CPU to decompress game assets into GPU memory. You might try a curve that's flat and just below the point where it's becoming a problem up to about 75C before starting to rise up. That not only helps avoid fan...
Hey. I just launched Far cry 5 and noticed my water-cooling fans for my Ryzen 7800x3d max out? Ive tried other games such as far cry 6, WoW, elden ring and RE4 remake and none of them have this issue, the cooler is working properly and is practically silent.

This copy of far cry 5 was purchased on steam and then launches through UPLAY, so perhaps that has something to do with it but that would be incredibly stupid.

Fans don't care what games you are playing, just temperature.

All it needs is the temperature to be a couple degrees warmer than any other game and the fans can take off if the fan control curve is set up for it. An easy fix for that is go into BIOS and adjust the fan control curves to be a much more gentle curve and locate a knee in the curve higher.

But then... some fans (typically older ones) that connect direct to a PSU power source (Molex connector or SATA power) can have a temp sensor in the fan itself: if temp is low the fan runs slow but as soon as the air the fan is pushing hits the right temperature it takes off. If you used older fans in your build you might check that out. They're most commonly ones that came on CPU heatsinks.

Last edited:

thuduke

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2014
All it needs is the temperature to be a couple degrees warmer than any other game and the fans can take off if the fan control curve is set up for it. An easy fix for that is go into BIOS and adjust the fan control curves to be a much more gentle curve and locate a knee in the curve higher.

But then... some fans (typically older ones) that connect direct to a PSU power source (Molex connector or SATA power) can have a temp sensor in the fan itself: if temp is low the fan runs slow but as soon as the air the fan is pushing hits the right temperature it takes off. If you used older fans in your build you might check that out. They're most commonly ones that came on CPU heatsinks.
Right, thats the weird thing. the temps never go above 45-50 while playing far cry 5. its just as soon as the game launches its 100 percent fan speed, then the literal second i close the game the fans drop down to the normal 20 percent speed as expected

I have set the fan curve to only reach 100 percent speed when the CPU exceeds 75 degrees, 80 percent when the temps reach 60 degrees etc.

The CPU is apparently briefly spiking high enough to get the fans going for a bit. I imagine that could happen if the game is using the CPU to decompress game assets into GPU memory. You might try a curve that's flat and just below the point where it's becoming a problem up to about 75C before starting to rise up. That not only helps avoid fan spin-up during brief spikes but steady fans are much less annoying than surging fans, even if the speed is a bit on the high side.

Rarely does 100 percent help cool any better than a lower speed, so experiment a little to find out just how high they have to go before it's just making more noise and nothing much else.

And lastly: I don't have one but from what I've read no matter what you do 7000 series processors aim for it's max operating temp. under heavy enough load. So keep that in mind as you fiddle with the fan settings. At any rate, I certainly would never have fans at 100% below it's max operating temp, 89C in this case, unless they're low speed and quiet.

Last edited:
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.