[SOLVED] Water Cooling from i7-3770k to i9-9900k

Apr 1, 2020
I currently have water cooling on my i7-3770k and to my GPU. These run through radiators with fans on each side. My question is would I have to replace my whole current water cooling set up to be able to upgrade to the i9? Is there a plate I can change out to fit the new motherboard and if so any recommendations wold be helpful. Also, if not what would be a good water cooling system that would support both my cpu and graphics card?

In the end is it worth it to upgrade my motherboard and cpu or would I be better off stayin in the i7 set and jumping to a i7-9700k?

Solution
Socket is the same, mounting holes for CPU block is the same, however, motherboard support between the chips isn't going to exist.

New CPU will require new motherboard due to BIOS support of the Gen 3 vs Gen 9 Intel CPU, but the waterblock will fit the same.
Both the 9900k and 3770k are on the 115x socket, so more than likely if your on a custom loop, the block will fit. Shouldn't need another one unless you wanted a newer/better/different block. If you have an aio, unless it's a 360mm you'll want a new one. Also depending on age of aio you may need a new one.

What's your current setup?

Apr 1, 2020
Both the 9900k and 3770k are on the 115x socket, so more than likely if your on a custom loop, the block will fit. Shouldn't need another one unless you wanted a newer/better/different block. If you have an aio, unless it's a 360mm you'll want a new one. Also depending on age of aio you may need a new one.

What's your current setup?
Motherboard: Z77x-up7
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3901 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
GPU: MSI RTX 2070Super
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

Watercooling system: X5PC Dual Pump

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Socket is the same, mounting holes for CPU block is the same, however, motherboard support between the chips isn't going to exist.

New CPU will require new motherboard due to BIOS support of the Gen 3 vs Gen 9 Intel CPU, but the waterblock will fit the same.

Reactions: grimfox
Solution