[SOLVED] Water cooling gpu?

scallumal

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017
Hi everyone i am looking at water cooling my system i have an aio for cpu but would like an open loop my 2 questions for today is those cheap kits on aliexpress or bangood are they any good? And those water blocks they come with (just the die block) what do i need to do to the rest of the card? (I remember gamersnexus saying you cant just cool the die)
I have an rx 5700 id like to cool

Solution
Sorry, I didn't see the link before.

Hopefully those blocks fit the card and the mount and retention mechanism are solid. You still need to account for airflow and cooling of the rest of the card.

In the Tom's Hardware watercooling sticky, I cover what needs to be taken into account when you use a universal GPU block:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...watercooling-sticky-v2-0.331454/#post-3502930

You'll see the section that covers the need to cool additional components on the card. This can be done with small heatsinks, etc that you can find on Amazon, Ebay or just about any PC mod shop.

There are a lot of different sizes and styles, but this is an example of what they look like...

Geef

Distinguished
Your only choice is to grow extremely long hair and freeze it with liquid nitrogen when your not paying attention. (sorry couldn't hold back, he talked about freezing his hair on the last live video when he overclocked the RX 5700 with liquid nitrogen.)

btw I'm not sure about an answer for your question. sorry for the post!

Dillusion

Prominent
Jun 1, 2019
Hi everyone i am looking at water cooling my system i have an aio for cpu but would like an open loop my 2 questions for today is those cheap kits on aliexpress or bangood are they any good? And those water blocks they come with (just the die block) what do i need to do to the rest of the card? (I remember gamersnexus saying you cant just cool the die)
I have an rx 5700 id like to cool
Get the nzxt one if its available
like this one:https://www.amazon.co.uk/NZXT-KRAKE...=1566223863&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmr0&th=1&psc=1

Last edited:

scallumal

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017
Can you post some links of kits you are evaluating?

I just want to know will i have to put other things on the gpu cuz its just a die block

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Again, can you post what you are attempting to do? If you are speaking in terms of a universal block, then yes, you need to cover the VRAM, VRMs and MOSFETs of the card with good airflow or heatinks + airflow.

But I really need much more info to answer your questions.

scallumal

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017
Again, can you post what you are attempting to do? If you are speaking in terms of a universal block, then yes, you need to cover the VRAM, VRMs and MOSFETs of the card with good airflow or heatinks + airflow.

But I really need much more info to answer your questions.
Im trying to see what else i need to buy cuz i cant afford a full gpu water block

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
What else ....in addition to what?

I don't see where you've listed any components, so that's why I'm confused. Can you provide this info?

What are your needs to cool that card? Is the card too hot, or is this a 'just because' kind of thing?

I'm looking to see what kinds of things need to be addressed and I think you're missing some very key aspects of what you need to account for.

The water block is only part of the equation. You'll still need pump, fittings, tubing, coolant, etc. Water cooling is not a cheap venture, and I highly recommend NOT cheaping out on any components. It'll only end badly. I like a bargain as much as the next person, but do you want to trust cheap components that carry water in your system. Possibly bricking several hundreds of dollars of hardware?

My honest suggestion is, if you can't afford a full block setup, save until you can.

As rubix said, there's much more involved then just cooling the die. Vrm are especially important.

scallumal

Commendable
Sep 6, 2017
What else ....in addition to what?

I don't see where you've listed any components, so that's why I'm confused. Can you provide this info?

What are your needs to cool that card? Is the card too hot, or is this a 'just because' kind of thing?

I'm looking to see what kinds of things need to be addressed and I think you're missing some very key aspects of what you need to account for.
I did post a link to the aliexpress posting but here it us again

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Sorry, I didn't see the link before.

Hopefully those blocks fit the card and the mount and retention mechanism are solid. You still need to account for airflow and cooling of the rest of the card.

In the Tom's Hardware watercooling sticky, I cover what needs to be taken into account when you use a universal GPU block:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...watercooling-sticky-v2-0.331454/#post-3502930

You'll see the section that covers the need to cool additional components on the card. This can be done with small heatsinks, etc that you can find on Amazon, Ebay or just about any PC mod shop.

There are a lot of different sizes and styles, but this is an example of what they look like:

3pcs-Memory-Chipset-Cooling-Heatsink-Heat-Sink-Blue-for-IC-SD-DDR-RAM-VGA.jpg

Solution