Water cooling help for small form factor case

xxcysxx

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
hello folks,
i got a 2700k cpu and planning to configure two 680 sli, and i do plan to over clock. but i got a small case. a lain li v354.
i'm planning to water cool the cpu and the two 680.
my intention is to use the XSPC RX360 Triple 120mm Radiator and the swiftech ddc mcp35x pump with the matching reservoir. the water block is to be determine, but my current hurtle is making sure the radiator can dissipate the cpu and two video cards quickly enough and the pump can handle the load of the plumbing circuit.
i only have an ssd and a 1tb mechanical, both are 2.5' drive mounted on the bottom of the chassis floor. the rest of the case is pretty roomy and open. but i'm sure the triple rad will not fit the inside the case, so it will have to be mounted on the outside of the case.

if you have better ideas or recommendations please let me know.

thanks

Read through the sticky linked at the top of the WC forum. You'll be able to figure out what you need to properly cool your components.

You're looking at 600W+ of heat dissipation, which can only be achieved with high speed (~3000RPM) fans on a good radiator. Odds are, the single RX360 won't cut it.

Your pump is fine - it pushes plenty of water at a high enough pressure.

xxcysxx

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
I did read the sticky and the recommended articles. But seriously there are so many variables and are a totally different subject in itself, a whole new learning curve. It is just overwhelming and I'm quite intimidated by it. That's why I made this post.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
You could squeeze by with a single RX360, but this would be only at stock clock speeds. You mentioned OC'ing, so this would push you against the envelope, or just give you a higher delta (which is OK for some people).

However, looking at that case more and more, I don't see how you are going to fit all that inside of it. It isn't impossible, but it will difficult as a best case scenario. You would obviously need the DDC pump/5.25 bay res/pump (as seemed to be mentioned) and some tubing wizardry to make this work. Your PSU location will be the most difficult to work around, otherwise, I think it would work...maybe use 3/8 or 7/16ID tubing? Also, you are correct in the 360 rad being an external mount...no way of getting around that.

I'd love to have a case like this to do a build in; I always think SFF WC builds are so cool to look at.

In short- it's possible, but don't expect this to be easy.

xxcysxx

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
hi rubix_1011,
thank you for your respond. i don't think i can practically fit any reasonable radiator in the case anyway. my only options is to mount it externally. such as the top of the case or on the side of the case. especially the side covering on the side of the power supply. i can retrofit this side with another similar piece of aluminum and stack two triple 120 rad there inplace of the original side covering. and have six 120 fans blasting at the radiator on the side. it will increase the total width of my case, witch kinda defeats the purpose of small form factor in the first place.
on the other hand i can get a double 200mm radiator and mount it on the top of the case. like this one: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/reviews/14803/ex-rad-329/p1/Phobya_Xtreme_400mm_Radiator_Silverstone_Cooler_Master_Yate_Loon_Bitfenix-Page1.html?tl=g30c95s1586 with two 200mm fan blowing on it.
furthermore, how do i know how much radiator i need for my application? i read the sticky but it's confusing.

I've seen a Sugo mITX case that had a 180mm rad inside, but it could only handle a stock CPU and one GPU since it's just not enough area.

External mounting can work however you want it to, as long as you get the right radiators.

To calculated the rad space needed, total up the max thermal design power (TDP) of the components, and look at the reviews for the different radiators. There are charts with how much heat the rads will dissipate (wattage) vs. the loop delta (you want 10C or lower), and the charts also consider different fans/speeds. From there you can calculate what you need.