Water cooling Idea/Question

FreezeRay

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
Taking a look at 4Ryans stickied thread about his open loop system using the 8 gallons of water, got me thinking about something. I haven't experimented with any water cooling yet, so pardon me if this is nonsensical. He was using several gallons of water cooled with two gallon containers of frozen water submerged into the entire reservoir, changing them out every few hours to keep temperatures regulated. Would using salt in the distilled water that is being circulated help cool the CPU more? Salt lowers the freezing point of water, so I would think this would indeed work. However, would the salt damage the lines? Would the benefits be at all noticeable, or even negligible? Just a thought. What are your opinions forum?

Solution
salt leaves residue and would totally cause damage. If you're thinking of using something regarding freezing water to cool, totally recommend using radiator fluid.

I used to watercool a server using a radiator left outside on my apartment balcony. So in winter at -25c outside things would stay cold. Had to use radiator fluid.

moulderhere

Distinguished
salt leaves residue and would totally cause damage. If you're thinking of using something regarding freezing water to cool, totally recommend using radiator fluid.

I used to watercool a server using a radiator left outside on my apartment balcony. So in winter at -25c outside things would stay cold. Had to use radiator fluid.

Solution

FreezeRay

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014

That does indeed make sense, I hadn't thought of that. Just my brain firing off crazy ideas as usual.

moulderhere

Distinguished
I had a server rack (full floor height) right beside my balcony door. I ran a MASSIVE radiator outside. Had a eheim pump going for it. Being outside in the winter It was COLD.

In the summer I got a couple Jetflo 120MM fans and the rad kept cool. I had no issues but distilled water and radiator fluid is what I used. No problems.

However be smart... Have temp monitoring software running to protect your hardware if something actually does manage to freeze up.

FreezeRay

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014

We had temperatures here outside around -10 yesterday, if I had my hardware it would have been an excellent time to get crazy. I don't want to go nuts and ruin my equipment of course. But when I do get my hardware I'll set it up, try some things out, and report in on everything.