[SOLVED] Water cooling in h500i?

Feb 11, 2019
Yesterday I switched my build into a new h500i and switched from air cooling to a water cooled CPU. My benchmarks dropped and I believe it is because my old case was huge and had 10 fans as opposed to this smaller case. I will stress test later but I believe this is not the CPUs fault but actually my 1080 FE thermal throttling too easy. Does anybody know what good 120mm water cooler is for a 1080 and also if that will fit in my case with my front panel being taken up by my cpu rad. If somebody has also done this maybe send a picture so I can see the setup.

Edit: I have seen stuff about editing the fan curve in a 1080 FE, is this a good solution to make the card run better. Right now it his 82C really easily. Also when i mention a performance drop it is only a difference of going from 9150 to 9020 on 3dmark firestrike ultra.

My parts list is:
CPU: 4770k currently No OC
Motherboard: MSI Gaming 7 z97
Cooler: Kraken x52
Graphics Card: GTX 1080 FE
PSU: Cooler Master V850
Case: NZXT H500i

Last edited:
Solution
I'm not a fan of GPUs that use a 120mm AIO. Most of the GPUs in question exceed 130watts, which is about as much a good 120mm radiator can support in order to maintain a 10C liquid/air delta. Of course, if you want a worse cooling delta for the sake of using 'liquid cooling' that actually ends up being 'not good enough liquid cooling', then by all means, go ahead.

For example, my RTX 2080 while gaming for several hours this weekend didn't exceed 40C with a full watercooling loop which also included my i7 9700k and dual 240mm radiators with D5 pump.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I'm not a fan of GPUs that use a 120mm AIO. Most of the GPUs in question exceed 130watts, which is about as much a good 120mm radiator can support in order to maintain a 10C liquid/air delta. Of course, if you want a worse cooling delta for the sake of using 'liquid cooling' that actually ends up being 'not good enough liquid cooling', then by all means, go ahead.

For example, my RTX 2080 while gaming for several hours this weekend didn't exceed 40C with a full watercooling loop which also included my i7 9700k and dual 240mm radiators with D5 pump.

Solution