water cooling , is downdraft fan necessay?

longthedrag0n

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
i've been reading the water cooling sticky on tom's hardware and there is a warning in red.

"When replacing the stock CPU air cooler with a water block you are removing the provided cooling to the motherboards voltage regulators, that air flow needs to be substituted with either a direct downdraft cooling fan, or increasing airflow over the entire area. Neither the stand alone water block, nor the Pump/Block of a closed loop cooler replaces this needed airflow to cool the motherboards voltage regulators, neglecting to do this will shorten the life of your motherboard and in the overclocker's case, could shorten it significantly"

i dont want the lifespan of my motherboard to be shorten significantly

My set up is 5960x, asus x99a 3.1, h320x2, fractal design S. do i need to worry about getting a downward draft cooling fan? i would have thought the waterblock would suffice. i dont want shorten my motherboard lifespan and how do i set that up if i do need it. how can there be a downward draft fan when there is waterblock in the way. I have 5 intake fans and 1 exhaust fans in my case for positive pressure, which i want.

Solution
As long as you have good airflow through your system, you will be fine. Sounds like your rig has plenty of air moving through it.

longthedrag0n

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016

3 fans through the radiator of h320x2 , 1 fan through radiator of 970 gtx 970 hybrid and, 1 regular intake fan and 1 exhaust fan. 4 of the fans have air passing through radiators 1st and i know the radiator restricts the airflow alittle bit but this should be suffice? total of 5 intake 5 and 1 exhaust?