Water Cooling - Kit or Custom Build?

Syblemz

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
Hello,

I am going to get water cooling in my new build for the i7 4790K Devil's Canyon. I am in a CoolerMaster HAF X 942 case. I want a 3x120mm radiator on top. I don't really want a reservoir that takes up any 5.25" bays, but not too fussed. I would like it to be as silent as possible, and look awesome in the side panel window.

Should I get a kit such as one from xspc, or build a fully custom loop. In your answer, please give me pros and cons for both if you can. I'd be happy with either as far as I know at the moment.

If you say custom loop, please say why and name some good brands for each of the different parts to make up the loop.

I do not want a closed loop as I may cool the GPU in the future!

Thanks in advance!

Solution
A kit is more restrictive in terms of component choices. You get what they give you. It is more convenient and requires less work, but it does not always perform better than if you buy top quality components. It's like building a computer almost. If you bought everything yourself, you have options and you can buy quality components than if you bought it pre-built.

For a DIY (Do It Yourself), I recommend Koolance. I use it and it is awesome.
I'd save yourself some hassle and just purchase the XSPC Raystorm kit. From there on you can customize it once you get a better feel for the ins and out of water cooling. They kits are reasonably priced for what you get, and you don't have to worry about parts fitting together properly, not to mention the performance they offer.

A kit is more restrictive in terms of component choices. You get what they give you. It is more convenient and requires less work, but it does not always perform better than if you buy top quality components. It's like building a computer almost. If you bought everything yourself, you have options and you can buy quality components than if you bought it pre-built.

For a DIY (Do It Yourself), I recommend Koolance. I use it and it is awesome.

Solution
I've not been able to source individual parts for less than a kit so I base all my loops from kits. I'd suggest looking at the XSPC Photon D5 EX360 kit (a bit pricier than the bay res kits) The parts contained in the kits are of the same quality you'd otherwise purchase so I haven't found a down side to doing that. I suggest the XSPC kits since the Raystorm water block is one of the better blocks currently available.

Syblemz

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

What sort of reservoir do you have? Do you have a picture by any chance? And are all your components from koolance?

Syblemz

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

So the raystorm has the best CPU block? And their reservoirs only come in the type that takes up a 5.25" bay right?
With the pumps, whats the best and/or quietest?

Uh no, just the blocks and fittings from Koolance. I used Alphacool radiators. Masterkleer or Primochill tubing. For the reservoir, I just pick one that I'm comfortable with but for my last build, I used Liquid Fusion for the style. Most of it is really for looks and less to do with functionality. So keep that in mind. It is NOT the best value/performance setup for all those parts.

Syblemz

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

Alright, I think I might just go for the kit as it's my first go at watercooling. What's the best pump from xspc, the 750 or D5? I changed my mind, I think I will just go for the 5.25" bay reservoir.

Syblemz

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

Okay, thanks.

Syblemz

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

I changed my mind and decided to go for the bay. Also, out of all their kits, what makes the raystorm water block better? And whats the better pump, the 750 or D5?

If I was thinking about adding a GPU into the loop, should I get the twin pump or would one do it fine?

Thanks

What case is that? Doesn't look very optimal. It's a bad place to put your reservoir because you will have messy tube wiring going directly across your case. And the air intakes don't hit anywhere near the middle to top portion of your build. They're all located at the bottom of the case. So that configuration is suboptimal. I would use the rear as intake in that case because it's just needed. But I would highly recommend moving that reservoir to a better location.

When you start the actual build, you should ALWAYS plan it out as best as you can and make sure the tubing all works before you start screwing them in. Make sure you have room for the tubes and make sure your plans will work.

To be honest, I don't think that case is good for a water cool setup.

Syblemz

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

The case is a CoolerMaster HAF X 942. I cant change the case, I already have it. So, I'll use the back one as an intake and that will mean there will be 3 intake and 3 exhaust. I can still change to a cylinder reservoir if need be.

TRENDING THREADS