Water Cooling? Mineral Oil is KING for NO NOISE and great Temperatures

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryans build can be seen in the 'exploring sub-ambient cooling' sticky up top

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/275185-11-exploring-ambient-water-cooling

My builds not as hardcore as his, but well above the average W/c loop in my opinion,
the thing is that the people who are willing to strive for the very best temps and silence are also willing and able to spend serious money on it, and devote countless hours to dropping that Delta-T just a few more degrees is well worth xxx in dollars/Gbp and six weeks of no sleep, post it notes everywhere and looking at everything around you thinking hmm, how can I get that into my loop?

the people who cba to pursue this route opt for H100 coolers, its still the cool appearance of W/c but relatively low-risk,
and you have to remember that cooling enthusiasts in general make up a tiny proportion of Pc users, extreme coolers even less
One last time,

Oil is messy
Oil's heat transference properties are pathetic

I would ask another question here though,
How many experienced, knowledgable and usually helpful W/c'ers does it take to convinve a person that a chosen cooling route is completely wrong?
Btw, The Earths kinda roundshaped, not flat anymore :)
Moto

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
I've got a couple of negatives...

Mineral oil wicks up cords. Meaning it will penetrate equipment that you did not intend to submerge. Like DVD drives and wall sockets.

It is a Class IIIB Combustible Liquid. Meaning a part failure could create enough heat to set the entire thing on fire...

Without a radiator, fan, and pump your entire rig will heat up to temperatures that are far above ambient.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I think he should just do it first and then come back to tell us how wrong (or right) we are. However, I don't think that the results he will see will have him bragging. Oil submersion gets rehashed over and over and over...it's just not a very good cooling medium compared to water.

Ever stop and think why your car is water cooled and not oil cooled?

Edit: mineral oil also degrades thermal paste meaning any cooler you have installed will fail to cool and transfer heat to the oil even less effectively, leaving incredibly hot pockets of oil that aren't going to move to be cooled.

Lutfij

Titan
^ rubix - if we'll be talking about why this isn't implemented in cars - then i have tonnes of reasons, as i recently popped the hood to work on my car. However, i'm not too keen on devoting my time to a kid who still hasn't set his pokemon free...thanks but no thanks. My time is valuable.

Galeleo was killed for hypothesizing the world was round and not flat, however we're not telling you mineral oil cooling is impossible/unfeasible, its just not ... practical in any way and maybe you'll come up with a solution thats better at preventing the wick effect, spontaneous combustion and refrain us from calling you an arson/pyromaniac :)

count me out cos i think trolls are on a roll these days.
Edited: on behalf of Modo

* we could give him some encouragement before he crys about failing :/

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
One of mineral oils common uses is in oil filled radiative heaters. Heated oil maintains it's temperature for hours.

In other words... It gets hot and stays hot! That is not a characteristic you'd want in a PC cooling design...

Unfortunately for the OP with the right combo of fans you can have a virtually silent PC as it is without the mess. Or even fanless if you go the same route with the type of hardware youd need to keep the temp in the oil down to acceptable levels. Its a bad idea period. Again theres a reason why it isnt more wisely in use. It looks cool, I guess, but really has no practical application for cooling PC parts.

You do have to seriously invest in W/c to get a silent rig, but Op seems to prefer a low cost, no maintenance approach, so I'll adapt an engineering maxim to fit the situation

you can have good temps, low noise or a cheap solution,
if you want a cheap solution thats quiet it won't give good temps
if you want a quiet solution that gives good temps it won't be cheap
and a cheap solution that gives good temps won't be quiet.

its a basic analogy of the W/c rules but it fits and is appropriate.
Moto

polymesh

Honorable
May 17, 2012
everybody here is talking "around" the facts

but hell yeah, if a bunch of people tell me this will never work, i might be on the right track...

i never questioned anyones expertise, but some people seem to not like having no valid arguments and try the emo way of prooving points..

and if thats all the contra you come up with, well, then we have a winner..

moto, you last post makes no sense as its prooved to be stable, cheap, and quiet with perfect temps

i dont know why you dont see it, think outside the box..

heat paste? you dont need that..
oil comming up your cables? its not true, use a connector and no worries.
no dvd drive in this setup, dvd is too noisy..
fans generating heat? a cmon please.. use no fan, generate flow with pump

from what i see, most you guys are not very well informed about this topic..
make sure to watch the youtube videos i posted and read purgesystems review..

they started this in 2007, its 2012.. dont sleep....

polymesh

Honorable
May 17, 2012
that there is no mess is prooven in the 2nd video i posted.. dont tell me its messy..

and i already posted a improoved version of it above..

now here is something for the guys with money:

why not have hydraulikpumps get the rig out of the oil.. thats impressive..

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Then go ahead and build 2 exact systems:

watercool one, oil submerge cool the other

Tell me the sustained load temps of each.

You seem very quick to attack those who are trying to offer advice, so perhaps this thread should simply be closed until you come back with some concrete evidence that this works as well as you are claiming? Puget systems is by no means the only ones to have tried this and even they have mentioned this isn't the most straight-forward or easiest to maintain system (along with dozens of others who've also tried this).

heat paste? you dont need that..
Please explain why?

oil comming up your cables? its not true, use a connector and no worries.
How do you know it's not true? And use 'what connector'?

use no fan, generate flow with pump
Flow to...where?

polymesh

Honorable
May 17, 2012
i attack someone? if something i defend myself, but not even that, talkin straight facts here..

btw low noise cooler, low noise is not no noise..
also can you suggest a good brand?
every cooler i owned became very noisy after half a year..

you dont need heatpaste because you dont need the whole cpu cooler unit in a oil rig,
that was already done 2kx with olive oil..
people keep the cpu cooler to generate a flow without the need of setting up other cooler/fans or a flow system
same goes for gpu cooler, you dont need it, but its cheap flow..

please take your time and read the complete history..
http://www.pugetsystems.com/mineral-oil-pc.php

but in the last part of 2008:

Overall, the biggest downside we have found is that the oil wicks down the cabling and makes a mess. Its amusing at first to find oil seeping out of your mouse, but gets annoying very quickly! We recommend making extensive use of wireless (especially bluetooth) for a system like this. There's no reason why you can't run only a power cord and video cables to the box, and take care of everything else wirelessly. We completely solve this issue later with our V2 system under development. Every day, we're coming up with improvements we'd like to make to the machine.

i thought i read about simple "make the cable longer" connectors in this history somewhere, couldnt find it now, maybe it was one of the youtube descriptions..

flow to where?
flow inside the tank is enough for normal usage

power usage would need a radiator,
or just have the oil run trou your freezer, why you ask me, come up with your own idea :p

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
flow to where?
flow inside the tank is enough for normal usage
How are you going to cool the oil that has absorbed heat?

power usage would need a radiator,
or just have the oil run trou your freezer, why you ask me, come up with your own idea
The freezer idea is another one that isn't plausible as most people think it would be.

BTW...I read through the entire Puget systems several times over the past several years...I'm quite familiar with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.