Water Cooling Necessary?

MrOddlyFox

Honorable
Nov 27, 2014
Hello everyone.
I bet you've all seen this question before.
I want to know, where does the need for water cooling begin?
What voltage, speed, etc creates the factors that require liquid cooling?

I plan to build a computer.
Me and everyone else, right?

AMD FX 9590 -or- 9370
Radeon R9 290
16GB 2133MHz G.SKILL Ripjasw X Series RAM
ASUS V Formula-Z AM+ AMD 990FX + SB950 Motherboard
EVGA 110-B2 850 Watt Modular Power Supply

The cooling I had planned to purchase was the Cooler Master Hyper D92.
Originally, this would have covered my need.
But as I kept developing my build over time, the demand increased.

So what is the cooling need for the selected processors (AMD FX 9590 -or- 9370)?
ALSO: Any explanation of where the need begins for liquid cooling.

Thank you,
MrOddlyFox

Solution
That's a bit tougher to answer these days. A few years back, you pretty much NEEDED watercooling to get the highest overclocks and stable temps. AIO watercoolers didn't exist yet. Today you can get great overclocks and pretty decent temps with high end aircoolers and AIO watercoolers. You can still go higher with a good watercooling setup, but it's probably not going to be a huge increase unless you had a terrible cooler to begin with and then decided to upgrade. It's more of a personal preference. Personally, I like watercooling for a couple reasons over air. I like the benefit of having both good overclocks and low noise. In my opinion, being able to get good overclocks and temps is always a good thing, but at the same time...
That's a bit tougher to answer these days. A few years back, you pretty much NEEDED watercooling to get the highest overclocks and stable temps. AIO watercoolers didn't exist yet. Today you can get great overclocks and pretty decent temps with high end aircoolers and AIO watercoolers. You can still go higher with a good watercooling setup, but it's probably not going to be a huge increase unless you had a terrible cooler to begin with and then decided to upgrade. It's more of a personal preference. Personally, I like watercooling for a couple reasons over air. I like the benefit of having both good overclocks and low noise. In my opinion, being able to get good overclocks and temps is always a good thing, but at the same time I don't want my PC to sound like a 747 when I'm gaming b/c of high fan speeds. Plus...it's watercooling :) For your actual questions, I don't think there is a static speed/voltage that would require mandatory liquid cooling. To many variables can come into play, such as your case ventilation setup, ambient room temps, overclocking or not, and what temps your actually comfortable with. For a 9590 or 9370, I would suggest either a pretty large "tower style" cooler, or a good sized AIO watercooling kit. They're pretty high power/high temp processors @ stock let alone overclocked.

Solution

jaimelmiel

Honorable
May 7, 2012
1LiquidPC is right on point. If you go with the FX9590 you can coolit with air depending on how high you want OC it. I currenly have one I am running @ 4.7 Ghz with a Thermaltake Frio Extreme air cooler. It is doing great.

MrOddlyFox

Honorable
Nov 27, 2014
MrOddlyFox[/quotemsg] 1LiquidPC is right on point. If you go with the FX9590 you can coolit with air depending on how high you want OC it. I currenly have one I am running @ 4.7 Ghz with a Thermaltake Frio Extreme air cooler. It is doing great.

[/quotemsg]

So you are running the 9590 with just air cooling?
You are the instance I was looking for.
I don't even want to overclock, just base frequency.

MrOddlyFox

Honorable
Nov 27, 2014
MrOddlyFox[/quotemsg] 1LiquidPC is right on point. If you go with the FX9590 you can coolit with air depending on how high you want OC it. I currenly have one I am running @ 4.7 Ghz with a Thermaltake Frio Extreme air cooler. It is doing great.

[/quotemsg]

I don't even want to overclock, just base frequency.

Good advice here on going with the 8000 series rather than the 9000 series. The 9000 series are just factory overclocked variants of the 8000 series. The 8320 / 8350 / 9370 / 9590 will all overclock very similarly. I have an 8320 at an easy 4.5GHz being cooled with a Hydro H110 water cooler with the fans dialed down pretty low... Not much need to spend the extra budget on the 9000 series. Look toward the 8350...

jaimelmiel

Honorable
May 7, 2012
1LiquidPC is right on point. If you go with the FX9590 you can coolit with air depending on how high you want OC it. I currenly have one I am running @ 4.7 Ghz with a Thermaltake Frio Extreme air cooler. It is doing great.

[/quotemsg]

I don't even want to overclock, just base frequency.[/quotemsg]

Yes on air. With my Thermaltake Frio Extreme. It more than does the job. My Sabertooth 990Fx also helps . It runs cooler than my last Mobo with it.

MrOddlyFox

Honorable
Nov 27, 2014

I found your explanation to be the best, you were very clear.
Thank you for the knowledge, I appreciate it.

MrOddlyFox

Honorable
Nov 27, 2014

I don't even want to overclock, just base frequency.[/quotemsg]

Yes on air. With my Thermaltake Frio Extreme. It more than does the job. My Sabertooth 990Fx also helps . It runs cooler than my last Mobo with it.

[/quotemsg]

That is good to know, thank you for the information.