Water cooling(never done it don't know where to start)

Sonmitch98

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($78.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: gtx 1070 nvidia
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($38.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($75.98 @ Newegg)

This is the build I have with different ram I think but that doesn't matter. I'm looking into water cooling for cpu and gpu(I really only need gpu cause that cpu can't be overclocked anyways). I've looked and heard about xspc or something like that and they have a couple kits but they are just cpu watercooling and they say they can be expanded. I don't really know how the expanding works or how anything really works for that matter. Just figured you guys have more insight than me on what I need to buy, after that I can figure out how to install it all.

Solution
Honestly, I would not water cool a 1070. Water cooling is not cheap, and after you account for the price of the 1070 and to put it in a custom loop, it will cost as much as a 1080ti. If it were me, I would sell the 1070 (prices are high due to mining) and go get a decent AIB 1080 or 1080ti. Performance will be much better.

The only other cost effective way to water cool it would be to buy a AIO hybrid kit like this:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-5188-B1

This would be good because it is cheap. Since you don't need to put your CPU underwater, this is ideal in your situation. Your temps will stay below 50C when the GPU is at 100% usage. The install is very easy and only takes an hour and you don't have to...
Honestly, I would not water cool a 1070. Water cooling is not cheap, and after you account for the price of the 1070 and to put it in a custom loop, it will cost as much as a 1080ti. If it were me, I would sell the 1070 (prices are high due to mining) and go get a decent AIB 1080 or 1080ti. Performance will be much better.

The only other cost effective way to water cool it would be to buy a AIO hybrid kit like this:

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=400-HY-5188-B1

This would be good because it is cheap. Since you don't need to put your CPU underwater, this is ideal in your situation. Your temps will stay below 50C when the GPU is at 100% usage. The install is very easy and only takes an hour and you don't have to worry about anything as it is very similar to a AIO CPU cooler.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
There is little reason to water cool anything but flagship cards unless you really just want to do it. Or to make single slot GPUs. Pascal cards particularly are limited more by their architecture than temperature.

The XSPC H-220-X2 and H-240-X2 models come as pre-filled CPU cooling kits. 240mm and 280mm respectively. They include G1/4 fittings and a DDC style pump that is adequate for a full custom loop. They can be drained, taken apart, expanded and refilled. Personally I like the integrated reservoir look.

The advantage of the XSPC parts is that they are full fledged brass/copper parts and you can pick up more radiators and GPU blocks that are copper or nickel plated. (I mention this specifically because EK has a new line of all aluminum parts)

You can see my example with the older H-240X in my link below.

The hybrid kit will come with pre applied thermal paste and it will do the job just fine. You will hit the limits of the silicon in the GPU long before you have any thermal issues with a hybrid cooler.

the best idea is not to watercool the 1070. There is no performance/overclocking gains with liquid cooling over decent air cooled card.
Mine is liquid cooled only because it's a mini ITX build and my room temperature is above 30C for the most part of the year (even today) and I had liquid cooling parts from previous builds. well, the main reason is because I like to mess with liquid cooling. but it's not giving any meaningful performance gains over air cooling this days.