Water cooling over the top??

t2couger

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
ok so hear is the deal I have been weighting on the perfect tine on a new build for the "best" computer that I could make while not getting screwed in a few months because something new. I spend a few hours a day keeping up on new technology because it is partly my job and I think I have got the perfect build with the potential to be over clocked to the max. would like to have a few opinions on it just to double check all the research I have done before I go for it at the end of the month. will post the build and pics at the time I get everything.
first is the case with plenty of room for water cooling setup and all the goodies
SILVERSTONE SST-TJ07-B Black
Power I will need it by the looks of it so here it is
SILVERSTONE SST-ST75ZF ATX 750W Power Supply
HD why not Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
EVGA is playing around with a GeForce 7950GX2 with water cooling and it looks like it will be out this month sounds good to me.
intel® Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe Processor 2.93GHz, 1066FSB, LGA775, 4MB Cache DUH
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)---3-4-3-9 timing EPP of corse
I already have 2 CD rome drives I like loads a plextor CDRW and a NEC DVD+-RW
and have a Logitech g-5 with a cyber snipa pad and the G15 keyboard
and as far as the motherboard it looks like nForce 590 SLI Intel Edition: NVIDIA when it comes out at the end of the month
and sound Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card al though not sure there have been problems with high end systems getting popping any ideas?????
well lets get to the water cooling side of it

Black Ice Xtreme III Triple 120mm Radiator looks like it will fiting in the bottom of the case nicely when the HD trays are taken out
Swiftech MCP655 1/2in. Water Pump or mabe the Danger Den D5 pump
cpu cooling Danger Den TDX , will be cooling chipset as well as the ram still browsing to find out what I will use for them
I may do separate rads for the cpu, chipset, and ram on one, and the VGA on a separate one for itself just to be safe what do ya think??? tygon tubing. did i leav anything off???

ok so hear is the deal I have been weighting on the perfect tine on a new build for the "best" computer that I could make while not getting screwed in a few months because something new. I spend a few hours a day keeping up on new technology because it is partly my job and I think I have got the perfect build with the potential to be over clocked to the max. would like to have a few opinions on it just to double check all the research I have done before I go for it at the end of the month. will post the build and pics at the time I get everything.
first is the case with plenty of room for water cooling setup and all the goodies
HD why not Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
EVGA is playing around with a GeForce 7950GX2 with water cooling and it looks like it will be out this month sounds good to me.
intel® Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe Processor 2.93GHz, 1066FSB, LGA775, 4MB Cache DUH
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM Unbuffered DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)---3-4-3-9 timing EPP of corse
and as far as the motherboard it looks like nForce 590 SLI Intel Edition: NVIDIA when it comes out at the end of the month
and sound Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card al though not sure there have been problems with high end systems getting popping any ideas?????

Black Ice Xtreme III Triple 120mm Radiator looks like it will fiting in the bottom of the case nicely when the HD trays are taken out
cpu cooling Danger Den TDX , will be cooling chipset as well as the ram still browsing to find out what I will use for them
I may do separate rads for the cpu, chipset, and ram on one, and the VGA on a separate one for itself just to be safe what do ya think??? tygon tubing. did i leav anything off???

The x6800 runs cooler than a witch's tit out of the box.

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006

The x6800 runs cooler than a witch's tit out of the box.

LOL; it's true, though. But if you want extreme overclocking, watercooling is the way to go.

Doughbuy

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Screw watercooling, that was so last year. This is the new in-thing

http://www.systemcooling.com/vapochill_ls-01.html

This will make anything you do OBSOLETE...

But if you don't want to spend 1000 dollars turning your computer into a fridge, your watercooling build looks good. I like the Apogee or Storm more than the TDX, but they all perform pretty similar.

The DD12V-D5 is the exact same as the MCP655 which is bascially the Laing D5 pump... so doesn't really matter what you choose.

Don't use arctic silver, use the collaboratory Liquid Metal (think I spelled it right). It outperforms AS5 by quite a bit. Check out some of its reviews. Tygon tubing is standard... resevoir? Any resevoir works though, just make sure its 1/2"

But your still gonna get screwed once DX10 comes out and hybrid HDD's will be implemented with Vista... =) Not to mention better GPU's which can handle PPU duties and you dont need a 7.1 card unless you have a 7.1 system O.O

t2couger

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
i looked into vapochill but i need somthing that will cool everything i have in one setup. chipset, ram, cpu, videocard.

collaboratory Liquid Metal that is some cool stuf i am going to try it out and see what i think looks perfect though.

the impression I got from dx10 is that it will not be mainstream for at least a year and even then most games will run fine on dx9-9c. I figure this because to use dx10 you have to have vista and look how long it took people to upgrade to xp I think it will be at least a year before it is mainstream.
the res is going to be the dual bay res that is on the danger den web site looks good and it I do a separate rad for just the video I am going to get a single bay res just for it.
and as far as the 7.1 I will not be using it what card should I use that is 5.1 I am going to be using the Medusa 5.1 Home Edition headset

sailer

Splendid
LOL; it's true, though. But if you want extreme overclocking, watercooling is the way to go.

My version of black ice. 8O

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4633889

But that has blue trim... Does it come in neon green?

Have you tried overclocking that unit?

When the heatwave hit a couple weeks ago, I had a lot of trouble with watercooling. One of my neighbors decided to cool herself off by stepping in the shower with her clothes on and then walking around till they dried, followed by another cold shower. The water may have cooled her off, but I suufered a few overheating problems.

Have you tried overclocking that unit?

I have it set at a mild overclock with the FSB and the RAM bumped to 230 mhz. , runs at around 460 mhz. If I set the RAM at 250 mhz (500 mhz. effective) the Dimms get hot and heat up the MB and case. I don't like the MSI board when overclocking. I plan to get the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe. Have any overclocking suggestions? I have the Artic cooler on here right now. Have the Zalman Fatality sitting here for when I swap out the MB. I'm looking forward to the red light. :D

I've found the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe to be a good board for overclocking. DFI is a better overclocker, but a bit less friendly.

Yeah, I really want that board you have. $166.99 at Newegg yesterday. I'm watching the price daily. I'd like to pay under $150 :)

I just do better with my ASUS boards. I have 3. I get a kick out of overclocking my Pentium D 805 on my ASUS micro board. The 805 d Smithfield core makes my six AMD processors look sick where achieving high overclocks is concerned. I have about 15 computers I run currently at home and two business offices. Can't wait to get that ASUS board. I puklled out my Audigy 2 soundcard yesterday and have it ready to go on the new board. I bought the MSI because it has Creative SB 24 bit chip onboard. Not as good as Audigy 2 though. It would make that neighbor of your dance! 8O

Flopmouth_Fish

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
I've found the ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe to be a good board for overclocking. DFI is a better overclocker, but a bit less friendly.

DFI may overclock well, but there are about a zillion settings in the BIOS, and if like one is wrong, then the computer won't work right. I have a DFI board; the USB and LAN failed. Or maybe something was set wrong in the BIOS. I bought a DFI for their overclockability, but I haven't overclocked yet; I'm just trying to make the damn thing work. I really wish I had gotten an ASUS board.

DFI may overclock well, but there are about a zillion settings in the BIOS, and if like one is wrong, then the computer won't work right. I have a DFI board; the USB and LAN failed. Or maybe something was set wrong in the BIOS. I bought a DFI for their overclockability, but I haven't overclocked yet; I'm just trying to make the damn thing work. I really wish I had gotten an ASUS board.

LOL! I have a DFI 875 socket 478 and a Pentium 3.0 (the hot one). I tried to put a gig. of Corsair XMX 2-3-2-6 in dual channel and the MB will not run! I set all the setting every which way. I reamed it, wrapped it and rotated it, Nada. I put two gigs 4 x 512 or Kingston value RAM 3-3-3-8 and it tears that stuff up. When i's not running hot. I will say I had a DFI socket A Nforce 2 deluxe that ran super. Then one day all the RAM slots stopped working except for number one. I swapped it out for an ASUS deluxe and it wass like I bought a Ferrari. So I was out in the garage and the old DFI board was taking up space amongst my car wax and windshield washer solvent. I tossed it! 8O :D

sailer

Splendid
Like I wrote, the DFI board is less friendly, and is much more demanding as you pointed out. I'm not geeky enough for it myself, so I've stuck with the ASUS boards and been content with their features.

Like I wrote, the DFI board is less friendly, and is much more demanding as you pointed out. I'm not geeky enough for it myself, so I've stuck with the ASUS boards and been content with their features.

Makes you think or ask yourself who's copying who? ASUS comes out with a 32 (16 x 16) graphics chipset and ABIT and another vendor follow close behind and release their version. That ASUS board has 8 phase voltage regulators. I think that is a great idea. I'm running two 7800GT's, two HD's, two optical drives, Pinnacle studio 9, 4 x 512 dimms of RAM, dual core processor, etc. I would think that voltage regulator setup would help tremendously. I hate ASUS support. Their MB's are great performers from my experience.

sailer

Splendid
I haven't had the best of luck with ASUS support. So I ignore it for the most part. They usually produce good boards, so I stay with them. They have had some problems in quality control, but so have most companies at one time or the other. My first A8N32 board died within weeks, but the next one has worked fine, so I won't complain too loudly.

I haven't had the best of luck with ASUS support. So I ignore it for the most part. They usually produce good boards, so I stay with them. They have had some problems in quality control, but so have most companies at one time or the other. My first A8N32 board died within weeks, but the next one has worked fine, so I won't complain too loudly.

I guess I'm becoming an ASUS fanboy of sorts. I would recommend other boards too though. When I built this computer the 32-SLI was not even released. People were waiting on Newegg to grab them up when they came in stock. People had Newegg under surveillance 24/7 waiting. Cost like $239 or so when it came out.

shawnlizzle =]

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2005
don't use the liquid metal, if you don't apply it correctly and get it on yoru mobo or cpu, it'll cause a short. it is also known that this liquid metal eats through weak metals, so if you want to keep yoru waterblock for awhile, then stay off of the liquid metal

that 3 evap phase change looks pretty cool, but waaay over priced

t2couger

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
thanks for the info. going to drop the cooling for the ram and the chipset after looking around. does not seam to be worth it. never seen anyone with any real problems with ram. anmd the stock cooling on the chipset looked prity darn good with the heatpipes. ther will be a load of air moving through the case so it should be ok.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
If you are using 1/2 ID tubing (I didn't read where you may have mentioned otherwise) along with the pump, what waterblock are you using for the ram? I've only seen 1/4 ID waterblocks for it. Having that in your loop would severly restrict your flow.

Love the PSU - same one I use - and it powers ALOT of equpitment in my Computer.

My system:

CoolerMaster Stacker Case
Presler 955 3.46
Abit AW8D
2GB DDR2 800
XFX 7900 GTX Extreme
2 Raptors HDDs
320 WD Sata HDD
Creative XFI Fatality (with drive bay unit)
(11) 120mm fans (8 are on rads mounted externally, 2 are LED 1 intake 1 outtake for airflow, 1 for drive cage)
(4) 40mm fans (modded Abit Voltage regulator heatsinks)
Swiftech 655 Water pump
Relay Switch
(2) DVD R/RW Drives
56-1 card reader
floppy drive
Dual cold cathode light
Bay drive voltage adjuster for CPU Peltier Waterblock
(assorted USB devices)
SilverstoneE SST-ST75ZF 750 PSU

Watercooling System
1/2 inch tygon tubing
Swiftech MCP655
Danger Den Koolsah GPU Waterblock
Maze 4 Northbridge Waterblock
Custom Drivebay Reservoir
Swiftech Peltier 226watt waterblock
Voltage Adjuster for Peltier
(2) dual 120mm rads (mounted externally) - each has 4 120mm fans in a "push-pull" configuration
Meanwell 600 SE12 Secondary PSU (for peltier)

Watercooling loop:

Reservoir - Pump - CPU waterblock (peltier) - 1st external dual 120mm rad - GPU waterblock - 2nd external dual 120mm rad - back to reservoir

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Screw watercooling, that was so last year. This is the new in-thing

http://www.systemcooling.com/vapochill_ls-01.html

If you looking to set a benchmark record go for it....but if your running a a system you USE forget it.

When those systems are turned off the temp swings do to a CPU what the temp swing do to ROCKS in the mountains....they make small cracks!

Over time (a small time next to air/water) your cpu will become a keychain.

EDIT: See the post above mine and search his/my posts.....Coolermaster cases and proper air cooling are all you should ever need.

babbler

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2005
I have a Silverstone TJ07B with an Aqua Computer water cooling setup. I'm using an Evo240 radiator, which has 2 120mm fans. In my cooling loop I have water blocks for my CPU (955EE Cuplex XT), GPU (7800GTX, Aquagrafx) and 2 hard drives in one aquadrive. I'm using an Aquabay and aquatube for the reservoir and to hold the Enheim pump You'll need another place for your hard disks if you put the Black Ice Pro III on the bottom. The radiator will be next to the PSU, so you probably won't have space for the water pump on the bottom unless it's behind the radiator.

Air cooling would probably sufficient for the chipset and RAM since the case has 4 fans on the top half.

Good luck with your build.

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
Phase change isn't really practical for most cooling enthusiast for it's rather limited capabilites. Most phase change setups only cool the CPU (with the exception of the Hydra which provides for phase change cooling of dual GPU setups in addition to the CPU - at a $2000 friggin' pricetag.) peltier cooling is more reasonable than phase change.

That's enough to cause me to have a bowel movement.

Watercooling is the mainstream cooling method amongst enthusiasts (although I do use Pelteir cooling as well) since you can watercool virtually anything you set your mind to. Having a case with a ton of room also helps...