Question Water cooling pumps

Mar 12, 2019
Hey guy's ! Working on my first water cooled system and my question is if I splice a reservoir and a flow meter into a closed loop Corsair system will I have a problem with both the pump in the cpu cooler and the pump in the reservoir tank running at the same time ?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Normally there isn't a pump in a reservoir, a reservoir being nothing but a tank with inlets and outlets for fluid, the pump is usually a separate component.

My concern is the impedence to flow inherent to meters and reservoirs, basically anything that has any kind of valve or fitting or even hard elbows. AIO pumps are such low pressure, low volume flow to begin with, any further impedence being detrimental to already lackluster performance. The exception would be in a FD or Swiftech design that uses a separate pump from the cpu block, not an Asetek or CoolIt pump/block combo.

If you have a reservoir with built in pump, I'd just do away with the AIO's pump altogether, replace it with a standard water block.

Gonna create some funky decisions on fittings as AIO tubing isn't standard diameters, either inside or outside, due to the needs of the ultra low evaporation rubber hose used as AIO's have a need for flexibility not common to even soft tubing used in custom loops.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This sounds like a bad idea, honestly. If you are going to build a custom loop, you are better off just starting out that way rather than trying to frankenstein something together. It's a waste of money to use an AIO in that manner since you're better off just spending the money on something else.