Water cooling questions

avisyth

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I bought a computer a few years ago with water cooling. It cools the CPU only. Its a simple system where the CPU waterblock and pump are one, and then there is a radiator with a fan. There is no reservoir. I've been using a program to monitor the CPU temp. Not sure if it's a good one, because it doesn't show all the fan speeds. When the system was new it would show an idle temp of 25~30 degrees Celsius. Now it idles around 40 degrees Celsius. Under load I have seen it at 51 degrees Celsius. My CPU is a Intel Core2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz. My questions are as follows:

What program/how would you recommend monitoring temps?
Would adding a reservoir/ more liquid to the system provide better cooling?
Is there maintenance I can do to check if the cooling system is running optimally?
How hot is too hot?

Solution
Realtemp is pretty good for monitoring temps of the CPU. A reservoir helps filling and in maintenance of the system. Too hot for that CPU is listed at 60.1C. Now for the maintenance question...you should change out the water every 6 months or so. Now I've been told by others who know far more than I that you should have a full tear down once a year or so. Including scrubbing copper parts with ketchup. You will have a lot of gunk in the system if you've never cleaned the system. When refilling just use a couple of drops of PT Nukem and distilled water.

japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
Realtemp is pretty good for monitoring temps of the CPU. A reservoir helps filling and in maintenance of the system. Too hot for that CPU is listed at 60.1C. Now for the maintenance question...you should change out the water every 6 months or so. Now I've been told by others who know far more than I that you should have a full tear down once a year or so. Including scrubbing copper parts with ketchup. You will have a lot of gunk in the system if you've never cleaned the system. When refilling just use a couple of drops of PT Nukem and distilled water.

Solution