Water cooling questions.

Jun 23, 2018
So I am trying to build a custom water cooling loop and I wanted to ask if for my pc which has a 6700k and a gtx 1080 msi aero 8gb oc how many rads do I need if I want to be able to overclock both I am think about getting a 360mm rad for the top of my case which is a corsair 760t and then a 240mm rad for the front of my case so my main question is, is that overkill for what I am cooling and second question is how should I route the tubing like loop order whats that best way to do it. Also a third question how much tubing would need for my loop, I currently have about 78 inchs but I'm not sure if that will be enough.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Ultimately, going the full custom loop route is "overkill" by it's very nature, so I wouldn't focus too much on what could be considering "overkill" for a specific loop.

Realistically, a single 360mm Rad could be sufficient, so a 360 + 240 (or dual 240's or 280's) would be more than adequate IMO.

As for loop order, that's a debated topic. There was some testing done by JayzTwoCents though where the conclusion was pretty much "it doesn't really matter".

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnPB_q51iVk

How high you can OC a i7-6700K is primarily determined by your luck in getting a good chip.

As of 12/04/2016
What percent can get an overclock at a somewhat sane 1.4v Vcore.

I7-6700K
4.9 5%
4.8 21%
4.7 64%
4.6 96%

Then, you are more likely to be limited by the vcore voltage you are willing to tolerate.

You will usually run out of safe vcore before you run into thermal limits.
Your case is very good for cooling, even with an average air cooler.

How much do you value that last multiplier that you might achieve by spending on a custom liquid cooling solution?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Solution