Question water cooling recommendations - 3800X

Dayzzz

Reputable
Jul 18, 2019
Hi all!

Just finished building my first PC, got a 3800X CPU, X570 aorus ultra and i'm using the new NX800 case.
I wanted to try out the AMD stock cooler before buying/installing a water cooler for the CPU, the reviews for it were actually pretty good, but its too noisy for me, it has 2 settings, low and high, and high is just insane, low is bearable, but its still not quiet enough for me.

I dont intend any high-end OC in the near future.

What would be the best water cooling, both in performance AND noise levels?
Budget is 100$ or less - is that reasonable?
I've already considered the CoolerMaster 240ml rgb, but i saw that it had a bad noise review here on this site, so i guess that's a no.

Thanks in advance,

For that budget, I'd go high end air. Considering most 240mm coolers start at about 100 bucks.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu-cooler/#W=10240,10280,10360

This is pcpartpicker list of all 240+ coolers. There's only a couple under 100. The cooler master, which you stated as noisy and some of the older corsair models.

You can grab a noctua for around 90. It'll perform just as well. Considering you have no oc plans. Even if you did, it's still one of the best coolers on the market.

Reactions: GarrettL

Dayzzz

Reputable
Jul 18, 2019
thanks for your reply.
I know Noctua is considered the best of the best in the air department, and I also know that air cooling is as good as water cooling (good air cooling, like Noctua).
but its too robust for my taste, especially Noctua, it's huge, I'm not that big on looks, but that one is just crazy ugly as well :)

Is there anything u recommend in the water cooling department? i can go a little more than 100$ if it's worth it, i want it to be very quiet, and of course, cool it well.

My best suggestion is to watch/read some reviews. Then choose based on your choice in aesthetics and noise level. 99% of them will perform within a margin of error between them. Most all use the same pump with the differences being radiator, fans and implementation of rgb.

I will recommend 240mm at minimum.

I had a corsair and it was good. Can't really speak on noise as it was awhile ago, and noise levels dont really bother me. But I do know they've updated the fans for quieter operation.

Using a Corsair H100i PRO RGB in my Ryzen build in sig. Cooling my 3900X. Noise levels are near silent at idle/low loads. Fans will run around 500RPM and pump isn't much higher. Idle temps in mid 30Cs or so. Gaming in mid 60Cs or so, haven't checked in awhile. It's a fair bit higher in noise levels during gaming, though I'm sure some of that is from GPU fan.