Water Cooling Setup Advice (and other parts)

Megaman321a

Reputable
Jul 2, 2015
Hello everyone,

I've decided that when I return home in 3 months I'd like to do a little work on my PC rig.

My system as it is:
- ASUS P9X79 DELUXE mother board
- Intel® Core™ i7-5930K Processor, with Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler
- GeForce GTX 760 ti (forget brand)
- 16GB G-Skill 1866mhz ram (forget standard timings)
- 2x 1TB WD 3.5" SATA3 Hard Drives
- Avermedia C127 Game Broadcaster HD (capture/stream card)
- Antec 750W True Power Classic PSU
- Antec 1900 Case - Green Version
- Samsung 24" 1080p capable monitor (2012 model)

The things I'd like input on upgrading from:

- Monitor: I want 27", 4k, gaming intended primarily. Are Nvidia's & AMD's anti screen tear systems likely to become standard in a few months? Is it really needed when I can just buy a 144mhz monitor?

- Hard Drives: I think I'll add two 500gb Samsung SSDs, move the OS to SSD and use the 2x 1TB 7200 rpm HDD as movie/torrent storage. Should I go with Samsung or are there better alternatives? Which era SSD should I look for?

- GPU: I'm thinking go balls deep with a 980 TI and EK Titan-X Full Cover VGA Block & backplate.
Anyone that's gone down this road before, please advise of any possible dramas as I've never gone water cooling before. Hopefully they're still available in 3 months when I get home (or something better is available).

Whole system - The first thing I'll do when I get home in October is hack my tower's insides apart, removing the entire front hard drive caddy system. I'll still have plenty of hard drive racks available in the lower HD & PSU compartment. This should supply an area large enough for installing a custom water system. Once I've sorted the cutting out, I'll give the inside of the case a fresh coat of matte black 2pac paint, and some of the exterior panels the same green as the front grille.

I've never gone with water setup before so please advise if the following parts are ideal:
- EK-FC Titan X - Nickel Water Block (GPU front)
- EK-FC Titan X Backplate - Black (GPU Rear - is this just wankfactor?)
- EK-Supremacy EVO - Acetal Water Block (CPU - Does any other part of MOBO need cooling?)
- EK-CoolStream WE 540 (Triple) 180mm radiator
- EK-XRES 140 DDC Reservoir with 3.2 PWM pump with heatsink & mount plate
- Hoses, fittings to supply water cooling to CPU and GPU

Will the above water cooling do the job? Should the reservoir be larger? Can you water cool in line such as Pump ->CPU->GPU->return to reservoir? I'm ready to soak up any water cooling advice people have.

Very important though; will water cooling parts stay serviceable for two years +? I expect maybe a pump to go but surely the blocks have a good long lifetime in them.

This thread will be in my favorites. Once I've started on the system upgrade I'll be posting pics.

EDIT: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=276479
That is an awesome build, most of what I want to do already explained easily through pictures. His setup only seemed to show the rad setup on top and a single rear exhaust fan. Does going water cooled mean I also don't need as much ambient air flow setup?

EDIT 2:

I've read the entire Sticky selection for Water Cooling, I've read up on multiple 980 TI card variants and cooling methods as well as comparing to the ATI Fury cards now that reviews have hit the net. I've decided to go with a closed loop cooling EVGA GTX 980 TI Hybrid and a closed loop CPU cooler, both with their own pump,rad & fan ready to plug and play.

It seems like less fuss. The GPU rad/fan will push out of the case (where the antec 1900 can store a PSU in the large compartment)
The CPU rad/fan will push out, replacing the standard outward flowing rear fan. This will leave the huge top mounted fan flowing in. Should this provide adequate ventilation?

The case will still get a sick coat of green and I'm pretty locked onto the two 500gb SSDs. I acknowledge that the water cooling setups aren't as effective for extreme overclocking, however the savings from going closed loop instead of a custom water cooling setup will go toward ensuring I buy a 27" G-Sync 144hz 1440p (at least) monitor. I'm pretty sure I'll get the Acer Predator XB270HU 27" over the ASUS ROG equivalent since I keep reading scary stories of DOA or other major issues with the quality control of the ASUS ROG 27".

I'll just weigh in with my water cooling experience here... I began water cooling when AIO's first came out but found quickly that when changing things around I was constantly removing it and remounting it (which is a PITA IMO). I figured a custom loop would be easier to work with/around (IMO, it is) so I went to a custom loop and haven't looked back (I still have the AIO for emergency use, like pump failure).
That's my only real bitch about AIO's but I feel it should be a consideration especially if you're going to be changing the hardware configuration afterwards

One other thing to consider that wasn't addressed in your post is cooling of the VRM (MOSFETs) which is available for your motherboard and can help with voltage stability when overclocking - a custom loop is the only way to get that done

My 2¢ worth