Water Damage - Failing to post after new motherbaord installed - is my CPU fried too?

Nov 8, 2018
So a week ago a small amount of water was spilt next to my pc, some of the water splashed through a vent in the side and the pc would not do a thing when the power button was pressed. Using paper clip method i deduced that the issue was with the mobo as GPU, PSU was working fine.
Ordered a new motherboard - won't post. Tried resetting cmos, swapping RAM etc. Using MSI Z390-A Pro, ezdebug DRAM led came on steady, then went off, CPU LED flashed and PC went off. Auto restarted a few seconds later and the cycle would repeat.
Eventually removed CPU and the PC now will stay turned on (No display obviously) with CPU LED illuminated but it does not turn off automatically.
- Does this mean the CPU was damaged when the motherboard broke or is there something else going on so I dont need to replace my relatively new i5 :(
Any help greatly appreciated!!

Nov 8, 2018
By using the paperclip method - Skipping the mobo by connecting the pins on the main power cable - GPU fans spun. Equally removed the GPU and the system still wouldn't post so it isn't connected to the GPU.

popatim

Titan
Ok so what we know is GPU fan spins and the problem might not be the GPU since it still won't post without it.

Paperclip test only turns on the PSU, it does nothing to check for proper voltages. Do you have a spare to swap in or can you get a digital volt meter (DVM)? One is often free at HarborFreight with a small purchase if you have one near you.