[SOLVED] Water damage pc and getting replacements need help

Mar 24, 2020
Hello I spilled water on my pc and it destroyed my motherboard and it doesn't turn on using a separate non water damaged power supply. Water spilled on my graphics card as well. I wanted to buy a new motherboard and cpu regardless because my pc was old but would a possibly water damaged GPU break my new cpu and motherboard? I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to computer parts and I was wondering what parts I should test so I don't drop hundreds of dollars to then destroy my motherboard. Thank you!

Solution
Yes.

Depending on what happened the water may have created shorts in the GPU that allowed electrical current to go where it should not go with respect to the motherboard.

If those shorts are permanent - maybe some GPU component burned, melted, etc. then installing the GPU in a new motherboard may just allow the current to go through the GPU again and zap the new motherboard host.

A careful inspection of the GPU would be warranted but there could be hidden damage. About all you can do is to test the GPU on an expendable motherboard. The GPU may or may not work and/or damage the test motherboard. Any sort of problem would and should cause the GPU to be scrapped.
Hello I spilled water on my pc and it destroyed my motherboard and it doesn't turn on using a separate non water damaged power supply. Water spilled on my graphics card as well. I wanted to buy a new motherboard and cpu regardless because my pc was old but would a possibly water damaged GPU break my new cpu and motherboard? I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to computer parts and I was wondering what parts I should test so I don't drop hundreds of dollars to then destroy my motherboard. Thank you!
Depends on amount of damage but yes, it's possible.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes.

Depending on what happened the water may have created shorts in the GPU that allowed electrical current to go where it should not go with respect to the motherboard.

If those shorts are permanent - maybe some GPU component burned, melted, etc. then installing the GPU in a new motherboard may just allow the current to go through the GPU again and zap the new motherboard host.

A careful inspection of the GPU would be warranted but there could be hidden damage. About all you can do is to test the GPU on an expendable motherboard. The GPU may or may not work and/or damage the test motherboard. Any sort of problem would and should cause the GPU to be scrapped.

Solution