Question Water damage question

Feb 28, 2023
About 2 weeks ago a spill caused water damage inside my pc and fried my gpu. After cleaning everything that got wet with alcohol swabs (gpu, ram, cpu heatsink, some spots on the mobo), my network card was not recognized. Replacing the gpu with a spare, I was able to keep a stable 120+ FPS in CSGO. Whats worrying me is that my cpu temp seems to spikeunnaturally high and maxed out at 80 C immediately when generating a world in Minecraft. After benchmarking the whole system in Cinebench and UserBenchmark it seems to perform as expected when compared to identical builds, however I'm still anxious.

Is there any good way to test if my parts are faulty at all, I suspect voltage issues. Id like to know for sure before I install a new pricey gpu that could fall victim as well. I could just be paranoid.

specs
Cpu: intel i7 6700k 4ghz
Cpu cooler: cooler master hyper 212 evo
Ram: 2x8gb PNY anarchy ddr4 2400mhz
Fried gpu: EVGA 1070ti
Spare gpu: EVGA 970
Mobo: MSI z170a
Storage: 1x samsung 970 m.2 drive 2x wd blue 2tb hdd
Psu: corsair ax860i

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2023
I believe that when you were cleaning the heatsink for the CPU you leveraged it enough to crack the thermal paste. I suggest repasting the CPU before believing anything else is going on.

Good call, it needed that.
It seems like the random heat spikes have stopped and creating a world in miecraft didnt max out the temperature at all, however it still raised it to 68-75 C. Earlier today I had a friend with an i7 8700k do the same and his capped at around 65 C. Does this sound normal? Could the difference between the two PC's Temps be environmental, or otherwise conditional, or is it possible I still have an issue? Thanks for the help so far.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
however it still raised it to 68-75 C. Earlier today I had a friend with an i7 8700k do the same and his capped at around 65 C.
Margin of error. His pc isn't your pc, his fans, airflow, cooler, location, hvac settings etc are different from yours. Also, cpus and motherboards are different, different voltage settings, different power consumption, different cores, so a 10°C difference between 2 cpus in the same class can be a totally normal thing to happen, even if all that's swapped is the cpu.

My question would be, 'What were the temps prior to the spill?'

Reactions: helper800
Feb 28, 2023
Margin of error. His pc isn't your pc, his fans, airflow, cooler, location, hvac settings etc are different from yours. Also, cpus and motherboards are different, different voltage settings, different power consumption, different cores, so a 10°C difference between 2 cpus in the same class can be a totally normal thing to happen, even if all that's swapped is the cpu.

My question would be, 'What were the temps prior to the spill?'
Thanks for the input. Good to know that much difference can be expected. Im not sure the Temps from before the spill however I know it would idle around 30 C which it still does now. Im not sure what it would come up to under load however, which is where my paranoia is coming from. My concern is that there are parts that are functioning but could be damaged in ways I may just not know how to measure and I am afraid that damage could affect other parts. If you know any ways to test for that, please tell me. If I sound like a total noob who's worrying too much please tell me that as well.