[SOLVED] water damage troubleshoot

Peter_161

Honorable
Aug 21, 2016
Water spilled on a laptop and 1 minute later I arrived on the scene. This computer.
The light indicating the power supply was plugged in was on, but the computer was other wise off.

I ensured it was powered down and disassembled it, let it dry in very dry weather for a day, cleaned it with alcohol, but upon putting it back together, the power supply light doesn't even come on.

Before I troubleshoot, I wonder if there's a probability list of where to start. That is, if the battery is likely, I'm up for spending the money on that. But if it's certainly the motherboard, I think it's not worth it?
For example

1. battery
  2. motherboard
  3. GPU
  4. SSD
  5. ....

Solution
Backside. Should I try keyboard side? I'll have to investigate how to do that.

In case of water being spilled on the laptop, it is likely to get stuck under the keyboard, so first thing is to place the laptop upside down to prevent water from reaching critical components.

I can't say for your laptop but my Thinkpad has a removable keyboard that can be lifted out in a couple of seconds. Some Thinkpad models even have water drain holes to let the water out of the keyboard, avoiding the motherboard.
Backside. Should I try keyboard side? I'll have to investigate how to do that.

In case of water being spilled on the laptop, it is likely to get stuck under the keyboard, so first thing is to place the laptop upside down to prevent water from reaching critical components.

I can't say for your laptop but my Thinkpad has a removable keyboard that can be lifted out in a couple of seconds. Some Thinkpad models even have water drain holes to let the water out of the keyboard, avoiding the motherboard.

Solution