Question Water damage

Feb 20, 2020
I didn't use my PC for three days. When I went to use it it wouldn't boot up. I took the side panel off and noticed water damage on my gpu, top of my PSU and little on my mobo and ram. I took the computer apart and cleaned it. When it was back together it still wouldn't boot. I removed the gpu and tried that and it started up however wouldn't post because no gpu. I just ordered a new 580, however when I turn my PC on it will boot up and seem fine however when I turn it often it often comes back on on its own or I have to press the power button multiple times. Is there anything else I should immediately be worried about replacing?

Sounds like some kind of short on the power/reset header. You could try and clean the header area and wires with some isopropyl alcohol (while the computer is off and unplugged) and see if that helps, however usually if water hits electronics and isn't cleaned immediately the damage is usually done.

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
Most important is, how did the water get there? Are you using watercooling? An AIO? Is the humidity in your room super high?

You need to sort that out before putting in new parts.

Feb 20, 2020
Most important is, how did the water get there? Are you using watercooling? An AIO? Is the humidity in your room super high?

You need to sort that out before putting in new parts.
Im assuming it's humidity from an oxygen concentrator. My buddy uses one and I didn't even think about it until after I saw what had happened

Feb 20, 2020
Sounds like some kind of short on the power/reset header. You could try and clean the header area and wires with some isopropyl alcohol (while the computer is off and unplugged) and see if that helps, however usually if water hits electronics and isn't cleaned immediately the damage is usually done.

After I had noticed it I took apart my PC and cleaned it. My gpu had no backplate and there was white mildew on the back, quite a bit. There was also a little bit of rust on my pcie slot and on my team slots but not inside of them, and a couple spots on the mobo had the same as the gpu but very small. I can turn my PC on and the fans run, my ram lights up and my CPU fan runs as well. My mvme has a tight cover over it so I would assume that'd be okay right? I ordered the 580 so I can see if it will post with a replacement gpu since I have a R5 2600 in it. If the only issue is a short to the power and nothing else, the PC should still be relatively fine right? I appreciate your reply

Feb 20, 2020
So I got the 580. It works. However, when I turn the PC in it says something about not having enough power to a USB, and my internal wifi is not showing up. Also the screen went blank after about 5 minutes but the computer was still on. I restarted it and it came back on

Spaceghaze

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
So I got the 580. It works. However, when I turn the PC in it says something about not having enough power to a USB, and my internal wifi is not showing up. Also the screen went blank after about 5 minutes but the computer was still on. I restarted it and it came back on

What's the model and wattage off your PSU and what GPU did you have before the 580?