[SOLVED] Water Damage

Aug 9, 2021
So, I've made the rookie mistake of leaving my water on my computer desk with cats in the house. The water, at some point during the night, was knocked over and some of it managed to get inside my computer. Not knowing this, I got to power on my computer the next morning. It clicks, and I get nothing. I try again, still nothing. I lay it on the ground, opne it up and see water marks on my GPU. My heart sinks. I remove the GPU to find water in the PCIe slot. After taking the GPU out and trying to power on again (zero signs of any more water damage, still probably not my best idea), it turns on, but my motherboard gives me a CPU error. I have a new CPU on the way and I'm hoping that will fix it. However, I don't want to put the CPU in and kill a brand new CPU because my motherboard is broken. Is it safe to put a new CPU in a potentially water-damaged motherboard? Also, is it safe to put my GPU into another computer to test if it works? I don't want to fry another computer trying to see if these parts still work.

Solution
leaving my water on my computer desk
if it just spilled on the desk, i don't see how it could've gotten into\onto your GPU or any other upright components.

if the water was on top of the case and spilled down into it,
there's a good chance many components have been damaged if not all.

but i've dealt with a couple systems that had soda drinks spilled into them and many times all it took was dismantling and a good cleaning of all components and then after rebuilding they were fine again.

if nothing seems to help;
find another similar known functioning system and try switching out all of your components one-at-a-time to determine what may not have been damaged.
of course clean off any fluid left and make sure all contacts are...
leaving my water on my computer desk
if it just spilled on the desk, i don't see how it could've gotten into\onto your GPU or any other upright components.

if the water was on top of the case and spilled down into it,
there's a good chance many components have been damaged if not all.

but i've dealt with a couple systems that had soda drinks spilled into them and many times all it took was dismantling and a good cleaning of all components and then after rebuilding they were fine again.

if nothing seems to help;
find another similar known functioning system and try switching out all of your components one-at-a-time to determine what may not have been damaged.
of course clean off any fluid left and make sure all contacts are completely dry first.

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So, I've made the rookie mistake of leaving my water on my computer desk with cats in the house. The water, at some point during the night, was knocked over and some of it managed to get inside my computer. Not knowing this, I got to power on my computer the next morning. It clicks, and I get nothing. I try again, still nothing. I lay it on the ground, opne it up and see water marks on my GPU. My heart sinks. I remove the GPU to find water in the PCIe slot. After taking the GPU out and trying to power on again (zero signs of any more water damage, still probably not my best idea), it turns on, but my motherboard gives me a CPU error. I have a new CPU on the way and I'm hoping that will fix it. However, I don't want to put the CPU in and kill a brand new CPU because my motherboard is broken. Is it safe to put a new CPU in a potentially water-damaged motherboard? Also, is it safe to put my GPU into another computer to test if it works? I don't want to fry another computer trying to see if these parts still work.
If your PCIE slot was full the CPU would be the last thing I would be thinking about, more like motherboard and video card.

TRENDING THREADS