[SOLVED] Water Damage

yossibac

Commendable
Dec 2, 2021
Hi experts
During a Halloween party, a drunken person spilled a sticky drink onto our desktop. The PC was off at the time and of course we pulled the power cord off, but was too late.
Motherboard: Asus TUF Gaming B550-Plus
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8 core
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2x16gb
Graphic : 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070
HDD: 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 Pcie NVME
HDD 2TB Seagate Barracuda
PSU: Corsair 850W

I stripped the PC dried and cleaned everything including the GPU
I retuned only the bare minimum: GPU, 1 stick of RAM, CPU, keyboard and a mouse.
Tried to install Windows 10 on a brand new Kingston SSD SATA
Bios were working and windows installed properly, but windows will not load, just goes to a DOS screen with HDD error message
Well, I know that the Motherboard had burned but not the new SSD
How could a burned Motherboard load Bios, detect the 2 HDD, install the operating system and still be faulty?
Thanks. Joseph.

Solution
You should try and use an ultrasonic cleaner, should take the gunk soaked into the PCB off.

How could a burned Motherboard load Bios, detect the 2 HDD, install the operating system and still be faulty?
If the board's BIOS is corrupt, that can be the issue as well, apart from it being...damaged. To add, why are you continuing to work with the board if you think it's burnt? Try and work witha donor system and see if the afflicted SSD works on said donor system.

Lutfij

Titan
You should try and use an ultrasonic cleaner, should take the gunk soaked into the PCB off.

If the board's BIOS is corrupt, that can be the issue as well, apart from it being...damaged. To add, why are you continuing to work with the board if you think it's burnt? Try and work witha donor system and see if the afflicted SSD works on said donor system.

Solution

yossibac

Commendable
Dec 2, 2021
Hi Lutfij
I can get into the Bios and windows installed properly on a hard drive, but windows will not load.
I suspect the Motherboard, what else could it be with water damage?

yossibac

Commendable
Dec 2, 2021
Sorry, I failed to take a screenshot.:(
I replaced the Mother board to: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, and Windows been activated by the way (that was my second worry)
I used the same windows install taken with the faulty motherboard, and it's now working perfectly.
There is still a question, how could a faulty Motherboard enter the Bios and install windows?:unsure: