[SOLVED] Water Damaged Desktop PC Help!

Aug 30, 2019
So i recently managed to spill water over my desktop PC and thought things where fine after cleaning up the mess. I checked and there was no visible water on the mother board or components as far as i could see. So after the cleanup i tried starting up the PC and things worked fine through the boot exept it went through the bios for some reson. After i got to my login screen though the PC crashed and did a few short start cycles before never starting again.
So obvioulsy something shorted due to the water, im not sure what or how but now i have a broken PC. I think the motherboard is what shorted but im not sure.
Anyway my question is since im now in the market for a new Desktop PC what parts of my old PC can i use?
If the motherboard did indeed short does that mean all my components are broken?
If i place one of the possibly broken/shorted components in my new computer im going to buy to test them can they damage the new computer?
Any insight is very much appreshiated thanks! :)

Solution
Sorry to hear about your problem. Hopefully by now you have unplugged the power supply so no more 'juice' is flowing through the components.
Have you removed everything from the case and: A. carefully looked for moisture? then B. carefully dried everything with a blow dryer or placing into an oven at around 180F for an hour or so - to make sure it is dry. IF YOU are really lucky this might revive the board/GPU/RAM.
Also look for any obvious burn or arc marks.
Did water go onto the CPU? Make sure the CPU is dry and try it in another PC (be sure the other PC's socket is the correct one for your CPU); obviously if it works in the other PC it is o.k.
A final thought: did any of that water get into the off/on switch on the case...
Sorry to hear about your problem. Hopefully by now you have unplugged the power supply so no more 'juice' is flowing through the components.
Have you removed everything from the case and: A. carefully looked for moisture? then B. carefully dried everything with a blow dryer or placing into an oven at around 180F for an hour or so - to make sure it is dry. IF YOU are really lucky this might revive the board/GPU/RAM.
Also look for any obvious burn or arc marks.
Did water go onto the CPU? Make sure the CPU is dry and try it in another PC (be sure the other PC's socket is the correct one for your CPU); obviously if it works in the other PC it is o.k.
A final thought: did any of that water get into the off/on switch on the case? It's a far shot but that might be the problem. Replacing the switch would be a could idea.
Re. mobo short destroying all your components: Probably not ALL, and if you are really lucky maybe none other than the mobo. Doubt they will hurt a new mobo when you test them, but if they don't work in that new mobo the part is probably dead.
Oh, just another scary thought: did any of the water make its way to your power supply? If so that has to be checked before you move forward. Yes, it worked to "reboot" the system, but maybe that's the delayed problem child.

Solution

mandeep57

Honorable
Feb 14, 2015
So i recently managed to spill water over my desktop PC and thought things where fine after cleaning up the mess. I checked and there was no visible water on the mother board or components as far as i could see. So after the cleanup i tried starting up the PC and things worked fine through the boot exept it went through the bios for some reson. After i got to my login screen though the PC crashed and did a few short start cycles before never starting again.
So obvioulsy something shorted due to the water, im not sure what or how but now i have a broken PC. I think the motherboard is what shorted but im not sure.
Anyway my question is since im now in the market for a new Desktop PC what parts of my old PC can i use?
If the motherboard did indeed short does that mean all my components are broken?
If i place one of the possibly broken/shorted components in my new computer im going to buy to test them can they damage the new computer?
Any insight is very much appreshiated thanks! :)
my whole PC was fully under water for like 1hour
I opened all the parts and dried them ...also used isolyted alchohal to clean them.
After drying them for like 2 days i Checked everything 1by1.
Psu Worked Fine....motherboard Dead...Cpu worked fine , 1 stick of Ram dead,1 Stick of Ram worked,1tb HDD dead,500gb HDD worked,Wifi Card Worked...
Seems like i was lucky..Hope yours work too..